Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold start rattle on LS3 - piston slap :) Engine replaced

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
as far as I know they are not mexican built. parts made in mexico but all assembled in either CAN or US.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
as far as I know they are not mexican built. parts made in mexico but all assembled in either CAN or US.
Where do you have this info from? I know the sump says made in USA but the engines for Holden were built in Mexico. The LS1 was built in Canada and still had issues.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It really doesn’t matter where the engines are put together if the head office accountants have put a limit on Engineering/QA budgets.

In such cases you’d get a reasonably consistent crap product regardless where it was screwed together.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I think it might have been mentioned before. Maybe they should have built em in China?
Couldn't get any worse, lol. I'm glade these engineers have their degree in designing these perfect faultless motors. As the old saying goes you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
all this extra piston/bore clearance just means u have some extra space for expansion that ur not using... may as well boost it to make its clearances closer to factory spec

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
all this extra piston/bore clearance just means u have some extra space for expansion that ur not using... may as well boost it to make its clearances closer to factory spec

******* brilliant idea :)

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Where do you have this info from? I know the sump says made in USA but the engines for Holden were built in Mexico. The LS1 was built in Canada and still had issues.
Googling LS3 manufacture. plenty of conjecture either way, but nothing concrete about mexican builds. Most US car manufacturers have mexican plants.

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
Just drove my mum's car (BMW 328i) and I noticed the check engine was on, asked her about it and the reply was "been doing that for almost a year now" and "doesn't seem to affect anything" lol

So I wonder how many average mum & dad drivers in VFs have the PS issue, but never noticed it...