Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

colour coding

jolly_97

THE VACATIONER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Vacationer
hey guys, just wondering what everyones thoughts are on colour coding the front grille and rear boot garnish on VP's. im definately doing it on the front grille but im half hearted about the boot garnish...

if i do the boot garnish ill most probably tint the tail lights a little bit aswell. any thoughts or suggestions on any of this?

cheers
Josh

ps. if anyone has pictures of either please post them up so i can have a look at the finished product fitted. thanks heaps :)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
What ever floats your boat. It's your car and what makes it part of you is the way you customise it. Getting everyones opinion on something can be a factor but at the end of the day its about how you want the car to look. Some cars are an extension of ones personality, and how you choose to express yourself is entirely up to you. If you think it looks good, do it.

Personally, colour coding can look good, but if there is too much of the same colour it can be bland. Try a contrasting colour or the same colour but a few shades darker-unless it's white. If it is white, pick a colour that is already on the car somewhere and use that. My VS is white, (well, my wifes VS) and I have done the dash insert and the engine cover purple to go with the purple in the seat covers she has fitted.

OK, just looked at the car...it is white...

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
To be honest, I tend to think that white VPs with the colour-coded grilles just look a little... strange. I'd be leaving it clear if I were you, BUT if you choose to paint it, make sure you paint the back of it! If you paint the front, it'll just look queer :p lol

The rear garnish can look alright painted white, but keep in mind that it looks better on VNs than VPs, as it suits the tail-lights a little more. I think you'd be better off trying to get that "holden" badge off cleanly :) Then she'll look schmick from behind.

It's a beautiful looking VP in my opinion, and I LOVE white ones. Don't spoil it :D Just keep it simple :)

jolly_97

THE VACATIONER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Vacationer
lol yerp its white.. like most haha. well i kno for a fact that the front grille looks good because theres one 2 houses down from me. ive seen a metallic green vp driving around with a colour coded boot garnish and i like it so i think i may aswell give it a go on my car. ill just buy one from a wreckers and if i dont like it, change it back to stock...

jolly_97

THE VACATIONER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Vacationer
@ morton: i think the badge leaves holes when removed off memory... not really willing to try it just yet until i know for sure. ideally, i want to debadge my whole car.. i just cant be arsed doing it haha

double post... my bad...

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Im very mixed about color coding, some things work somethings dont. Ive seen quite a few color coded rear garnishes some look mint and some look horrid.

Im not sure if you can on VPs or not but you can on VR/S is take the garnish off. Go buy a backup one and color code that one and see if you like it or not.

EDIT* Jolly i know the rear badge doesnt leave holes, the front ones for a VS does not sure about a VP.

jolly_97

THE VACATIONER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Vacationer
yeah you can take the garnish off on VP's too, just have to be careful not to damage the number plate lights.. i think ill go find one at the wreckers, paint it, then see if i like it or not... painting it is no problem (dad was a painter for 25 years :-D)

i might do the badge soonish then, off memory i need a heat gun and bug & tar remover for the glue? just gotta get hold of a heat gun...

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
i just had a look at ur car man and uno wat i rekon? just a thought thrown at ya how bout tint the tail lights and garnish then paint the strips like on the calais's and SS's on it white? strips would stand out and it'll b somthing different ina way i did it 2 mine cept i used silver 2 match the chrome on my calais.

jolly_97

THE VACATIONER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Vacationer
yeah true true. im playin around with ideas atm so ill keep that in mind. boot garnishes arent that much from the wreckers so ill have a muck around lol