Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Colour matching

SAMO-87

Reaction score
Members Ride
02' VX Berlina 5.7L
Hey all,

When I first bought my car (from a dealer) it appeared that the paint was very good. Few little scratches, but nothing major.

It wasn't until I got it home and under different light, that I noticed the front bar was a different shade compared with the rest of the car.

Not being content with that, I had a mobile guy come out and respray the bar. He said to me at the time of completetion that he couldn't match it on both sides of the bar, to the rest of the car. It appears as though one side of the car is a different shade to the other. I can't tell if it has had a respray in the past, but I would say it hasn't.

I've attached a pic of how it looks now. With the flash on, you can really see the difference in colour..

What are peoples thoughts on what I should do? Someone suggested getting a panel beater to blend the bar into the body shades, as to appear all the same...

Cheers,
Sam

photo.jpg

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Plastic bars always look different. Always.

Has something to do with the different static between the Metal and plastic. I've painted the whole front end of cars before at the same time, and still the bar looks different.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
I've seen heaps of VE's and other new cars that have different shades in their plastic bars too. And these are NEW cars! Surely there must be a way around it.
More noticeable on certain colours than on others.
..Luckily black isn't one of them lol...

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
you can get around it a little by using a sympathetic ground coat. I.e a colour close to the finish colour. That some times helps it, but 9 times out of ten it wont really.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
A good painter could probably blend that. Is that really the colour of the other side of the car? Its a totally different colour! I'd be surprised if half of it hadn't been painted before

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Have a look through a few "my ride" threads and come back with how many bars you see that badly matched. There's no way thats just because of the different materials. The difference that makes is so minute that the average consumer will never notice it. Hell, most average car nuts never pick the difference

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
totally depends on the colour.

You might get a better match if you have it resprayed. maybe. But for $300+ is it worth it?