Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coming and going P0017 - 2010 3.0L LF1 SIDI

trentnbauer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International
Hi all,
My VE has started on and off throwing a P0017 error
The error seems to come and go (engine light eventually turns off) and is always P0017

It has an LF1 motor, roughly 210KMs. Engine runs fine otherwise though sometimes is a tad rough on idle, a small occasional vibration is felt
I've recently changed the oil and filter but it was throwing the error before that.

It does have 100cel cats, with right angle o2 sensor bungs, otherwise is stock. It has had these for a years though.

Edit: Timing chains have not been done

Last edited:

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
If your chains have not been done and you are at 210K kms then it could be a sign that it's getting close.
It could also be a bad cam sensor so swapping them around and seeing if the fault moves would be a good idea and worth trying as it costs nothing.
The code indicates the cam and crank are going out of sync and it's the sensor feedback to the ECU that makes the light come and go so a bad sensor is not out of the question it's just these engines seem to need the chains done around 180K kms and you have not indicated if that has been done.

trentnbauer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International
If your chains have not been done and you are at 210K kms then it could be a sign that it's getting close.
It could also be a bad cam sensor so swapping them around and seeing if the fault moves would be a good idea and worth trying as it costs nothing.
The code indicates the cam and crank are going out of sync and it's the sensor feedback to the ECU that makes the light come and go so a bad sensor is not out of the question it's just these engines seem to need the chains done around 180K kms and you have not indicated if that has been done.
Updated OP - timing chains haven't been done.

Is there some doco for swapping the sensors? I'm relatively green when it comes to working on cars but can follow guides :)
I've had a google but can't find anything specific to the LF1.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
No doco that I know of but here is a photo of a sensor and a photo of the engine with the 4 cam sensors circled.
I would take both from one side and swap to the other side and if it is the sensor the fault code will change as it will be on another bank.
If the fault stays the same then time to get the engine looked at.

LF1 and LFW are essentially the same engine so ignore that it says LFW it's still the same on your engine. ;)

Also your location says Australia and not where you actually are so if you change that to where you actually are and get stuck a member might be able to help you.

Attachments

• CAM-115-Z09.jpg
    CAM-115-Z09.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 88
  • LFW-1-sensor.jpg
    LFW-1-sensor.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 95

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It does have 100cel cats, with right angle o2 sensor bungs, otherwise is stock. It has had these for a years though.

Edit: Timing chains have not been done
Did the new cats make a big difference? Worth doing or not?

trentnbauer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International
Did the new cats make a big difference? Worth doing or not?
Made the exhaust a tad louder and a bit more raspier, especially on the top end. I don't think it made any performance impact but they've been on there that long that I can't remember now.

trentnbauer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International
No doco that I know of but here is a photo of a sensor and a photo of the engine with the 4 cam sensors circled.
I would take both from one side and swap to the other side and if it is the sensor the fault code will change as it will be on another bank.

LF1 and LFW are essentially the same engine so ignore that it says LFW it's still the same on your engine. ;)

Also your location says Australia and not where you actually are so if you change that to where you actually are and get stuck a member might be able to help you.
I ended up only swapping the exhaust side sensors, I'll report back once I've done a bit of driving! Thanks mate

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore sv6 ute

Reading this a year after, can I swap either crank sensor with each other, or are the exhaust sensors dedicated exhaust side?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I would like to help you,
but It appears you have an expert assisting you !