Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2010 VE Calais wagon Misfire

Johnsy71

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais sportwagon
My 2010 VE Calais has been throwing is now throwing a P0008 (performance issue bank one) with the engine light remaining on again.
It originally had this code and the a P003 (misfire cylinder 3). So I replaced cylinder 3 injector and coil and plug.
After that I then got a code telling me multiple misfires. Now I’ve just had a mechanic drop the tank and replace the fuel pump. Drove fine for a couple of days and just now thrown the P0008 code. I’ve tested and changed around the cam sensors to opposite banks so I don’t think it’s sensors.
Apparently the timing chains were only replaced around 35,000 ago so I thought it would be unlikely to be the timing chain. It also not noisy or rattling on start up or any time which is a usual hint that the timing chain is cactus.
I keep throwing cash at this thing trying to sort the problem only to seem to go around in circles and the same code comes back.
Just thought I’d see if anyone hear has thoughts on what else I might look for before going into the timing chains. I’ve been without transport for almost a month and it’s doing my head in. I’m almost at the point of cutting my losses and getting rid of the pain in the ass car, but don’t have a heap of coin to splash out on something else.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Cheers

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
If it was an Ebay cheapy special kit then chances are the chains or even one of the tensioners is faulty already.
No way to really know without looking and actually knowing what kit was used.
You say "Apparently the timing chains were only replaced around 35,000 ago" which indicates you were told and probably don't know what kit they used.
Shonky people would put a cheap kit in and sell the vehicle
to some unsuspecting buyer.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I bought a eBay kit,
And only lasted 3,000 km,

Replaced them with a Repco kit, (not cheap kit)
And have since done 34,000 k/s and it’s running perfectly.

Johnsy71

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais sportwagon
If it was an Ebay cheapy special kit then chances are the chains or even one of the tensioners is faulty already.
No way to really know without looking and actually knowing what kit was used.
You say "Apparently the timing chains were only replaced around 35,000 ago" which indicates you were told and probably don't know what kit they used.
Shonky people would put a cheap kit in and sell the vehicle
to some unsuspecting buyer.
Yeah thanks mate. The service records are from a Holden dealership, however it only says ‘timing chain /guides’, so it’s possible they only adjusted it. Given it would have had 170,000 on the clock at that time, you would assume they would have replaced the chains.
And if they did you’d expect Holden to use a decent kit ‍♂️. I’ll just have to bight the bullet and get it back into a workshop as it’s a job beyond my skill level.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
Yeah thanks mate. The service records are from a Holden dealership, however it only says ‘timing chain /guides’, so it’s possible they only adjusted it. Given it would have had 170,000 on the clock at that time, you would assume they would have replaced the chains.
And if they did you’d expect Holden to use a decent kit ‍♂️. I’ll just have to bight the bullet and get it back into a workshop as it’s a job beyond my skill level.
You should contact the dealer in question and ask if they were replaced because a dealer price is around $3500 to do the chains so it would be listed in their computer as having been done.