Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

common Problems

smp009

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore s2 3.8
Hi all.i own a 96 VS Commodore, 3.8 ltr V6 auto (idiot shift).
i have had this car for coming on 2 years now and have replaced alot of parts ,i.e starter motor,new brushes for the alternator,earth wire,exhaust,mainly because the person who had it before me put the wrong exhaust on it and the other parts just shat themselves over time.along with other parts i cant think of at present,but thats jusrt general wear and tear stuff.
I have been told that there are 2 main problems that go wrong with a VS and they are the Crank Angle Sensor,and the Fuel Pump?
can anyone please tell me if the advice i got was right,and if so,would it be better to replace them now before they screw up?

i mean i do belive in the "if it aint broke dont fix it"saying,but i also live out of town and dont fancy being stuck on the road with a broken car if i can avoid it is all.any help/advice would be much appreciated
and thanks in advance

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
The cas is probably the most common thing to go on the vs, as are coil packs.

I always keep a spare coil pack in the boot just in case when I am on long trips

smp009

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore s2 3.8
oh ok always handy to have a coil pack,i got a VN/VR motor here with a coil pack on it,so i might actually pull it off and chuck it in the boot as well.because as i said i dont like the thought of being stuck on the side of the road broken down lol,so ill try an avoid that if possible

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
The vn vr coil pack is not the same as a vs vt coil pack

tightass

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR executive
The vn vr coil pack is not the same as a vs vt coil pack

Whats the difference between coil packs from vr and vt. Just curious because I've just put a vt one in my car and ignition module. Only difference was the bracket I thought

smp009

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore s2 3.8
Oh okay. I also went and looked at the be motor and it doesn't have one on it. I thought it did.

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
I'm not a 100% on the difference but I've read before its best not to swap from different engines

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
dfi module and coil packs are the same.
only difference is the mounting bolts, but you can change them by removing the lower section of the dfi module from the metal bracket that the bolts go thru and swap them.

smp009

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore s2 3.8
Jxw,
in you saying that,does that mean i can get a vr/vn coil pack IF i cant find a VS one?