Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Comprehensive Road Test Just for a Map Update?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The Windows/Mac argument is more like the VAG/Caterham one ... :)

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
In the VF commodore, MyLink is the application with QNX the operating system (OS). QNX is a very mature and stable OS with over 20 years of operation. Apple car play is the application which also uses QNX as its OS. Over 70% of car manufacturers use QNX based systems for their audio systems.

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
The Mlylink screen refers to Windows Vista, no wonder it's so poorly implemented. The Windows Vista symbol appears when it boots up.

Black5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Senator
The Mlylink screen refers to Windows Vista, no wonder it's so poorly implemented. The Windows Vista symbol appears when it boots up.

This could be just the way the OS recognises an attached USB device.

I'm guessing it shows up when you have your Windows/Android phone that uses the MTP protocol connected via USB???

It may then display your phone as a "Windows Vista Certified Device" icon?

"A USB mass storage or Certified®Windows Vista/Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) device can be connected to the USB port."

Windows embedded or (older) CE variants are what has typically been used in OEM environments as Vista was never designed for this type of application, and even Holden couldn't be that stupid.

[Flame suit - ON]

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
This could be just the way the OS recognises an attached USB device.

I'm guessing it shows up when you have your Windows/Android phone that uses the MTP protocol connected via USB???

It may then display your phone as a "Windows Vista Certified Device" icon?

No , it is a static icon on the screen , regardless if anything is connected or not.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
What do you mean by "the Windows Vista symbol appears when it boots up"?
Where's it appear?
I'm sure I've seen that symbol somewhere (eg. when you flick to USB input or something like that), but I don't think I see it anywhere at startup ... just the shiny chrome-looking Holden symbol on the screen & the HUD, then it goes to the "Now Playing" screen (and even though it's playing off the USB I don't recall any Windows icons along the top of that screen).

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
What do you mean by "the Windows Vista symbol appears when it boots up"?
Where's it appear?
I'm sure I've seen that symbol somewhere (eg. when you flick to USB input or something like that), but I don't think I see it anywhere at startup ... just the shiny chrome-looking Holden symbol on the screen & the HUD, then it goes to the "Now Playing" screen (and even though it's playing off the USB I don't recall any Windows icons along the top of that screen).

Maybe not when it boots up but there is a static icon that says "Powered by Windows Vista" or something similar in the MyLink Menu screens...Sorry to mislead you unintentionally. It was a WTF moment when I saw this as Vista was one of the worst OS's ever produced by Windows. even worse than previous like Windows 95 and Windows 98. Windows XP was much better.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
No probs; I'm pretty sure I've seen the logo of which you speak, just couldn't recall where.
And yeah, thought it was odd too. But assumed I was mistaken about it being a Vista logo, and that maybe it represented something else (eg. something first released/available in Vista?).

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
No probs; I'm pretty sure I've seen the logo of which you speak, just couldn't recall where.
And yeah, thought it was odd too. But assumed I was mistaken about it being a Vista logo, and that maybe it represented something else (eg. something first released/available in Vista?).

Yeah it something that you can't press and it does something.. it's just a place-holder by the looks of it..

Black5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Senator
I found all the dealers were hopelessly confused between the different systems in the different Holden models - some (most) of which have already beat this problem and use Whereis map updates etc.

I think that these days there is no excuse to have firmware in such a modern car with maps hardcoded in like that, we've had 3rd party (Garmin, Tomtom etc) GPS systems for years that have easy one-step map updates without you having to jog down the highway (preferably without underpants) to calibrate.

PS - I was told they may give cost exceptions to fairly new Commodores (e.g. Within warranty maybe - ?) for the update. But we won't know the deal until it comes out so take all this with a grain of salt. It may be a case per case basis.
I guess they're probably charging for it, assuming they do, because map updates usually do cost and they could say that the firmware is fine (arguably) prior to this update so you're really paying for the new maps. But I can't speak for them.

Car in for a service today and went through a short list of recalls and issues to be addressed and looked at, including MyLink, and i asked about Map updates and was quoted $180 for the "latest".
I asked about the version number and the date of the update and was told "We'll call you".

Nothing mentioned about a road test being required.

I'll update if i find out anything more.