Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Comprehensive Road Test Just for a Map Update?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute

Black5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Senator
I was expecting wayyyyy worse actually.

Yes. Me too.
I was more concerned with the inability to advise when they were last updated.
A lot of major road changes in Melbourne the last 2 years and happy to pay $180 if they are actually a recent update and not already 2 years old.
A $100 odd annual subscription/charge for the latest maps is not unreasonable as long as they are actually current.

At least the Mercedes Dealer was honest enough to tell me that the "latest" maps (at a cost of nearly $600), were actually last updated in 2010 for my W203.

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
Car in for a service today and went through a short list of recalls and issues to be addressed and looked at, including MyLink, and i asked about Map updates and was quoted $180 for the "latest".
I asked about the version number and the date of the update and was told "We'll call you".

Interesting because in the YT video I uploaded and published here, I am the first and this version which is the latest , the maps are still with Holden engineering and haven't been released to the public. The dealer had to follow instructions supplied by Holden TAC (see the video) and I was quoted more than $180 when I did enquire 6 months ago of around $350 and they weren't available then either.

A $100 odd annual subscription/charge for the latest maps is not unreasonable as long as they are actually current

I would be sceptical that they can bring out maps on an annual basis, it's been 3 years since I bought my car and they haven't been able to bring them out so far until I pushed and shoved them via the consumer tribunal. The process as explained to me is a lengthy and involved process that has to go through a lot of testing and this takes more than a year. Unless they could guarantee they will do this and it is fully refundable if not in writing, then I wouldn't be putting my money down.

Black5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Senator
Interesting because in the YT video I uploaded and published here, I am the first and this version which is the latest , the maps are still with Holden engineering and haven't been released to the public. The dealer had to follow instructions supplied by Holden TAC (see the video) and I was quoted more than $180 when I did enquire 6 months ago of around $350 and they weren't available then either.

After following this thread, I expected to be be told they weren't available too.
Let's wait and see if they actually do provide an update or if this was just a glib response from the guy booking in the service without any actual knowledge/facts behind it.

Black5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Senator
OK.

I picked up the car and was told that a whole range of software updates have been installed including:
Update and reset of HVAC to latest version.
Update and reset of MRC
Update and reset of MyLink to latest version
Under the section for GPS, was just repeated "Update and reset of MyLink to latest version" but there was no charge and I don't believe that the maps have changed.

I'm also a little skeptical that they have done anything at all regarding the software. (trust issues)

For reference and comparison, the software versions now installed in my car are as per the photo's below.

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
OK.

I picked up the car and was told that a whole range of software updates have been installed including:
Update and reset of HVAC to latest version.
Update and reset of MRC
Update and reset of MyLink to latest version
Under the section for GPS, was just repeated "Update and reset of MyLink to latest version" but there was no charge and I don't believe that the maps have changed.

I'm also a little skeptical that they have done anything at all regarding the software. (trust issues)

For reference and comparison, the software versions now installed in my car are as per the photo's below.

So did they charge you $180 To update the maps? I hope they didn't charge you to update MYLink. Did you confront them about not updating your maps which they claimed they could? Like I said they can't update the matps as not released to general customers as yet.

If you have a POI called East Hotel 69 Canberra Avenue Kingston ACT 2604 then your maps would be the latest.

Last edited:

vy_berlina03

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6 Storm
I have checked the maps on my car and I have that POI in my maps just under a different area i guess but it is the same location as yours and I did not get any map updates last time just the My Link upgrade.

IMG_1958.jpg

Black5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Senator
So did they charge you $180 To update the maps? I hope they didn't charge you to update MYLink. Did you confront them about not updating your maps which they claimed they could? Like I said they can't update the matps as not released to general customers as yet.

If you have a POI called East Hotel 69 Canberra Avenue Kingston ACT 2604 then your maps would be the latest.

No charge to update the Maps or MyLink.
I would not have agreed to paying to upgrade MyLink as the car is under warranty and MyLink is exhibiting faults and would definitely have fought tooth and nail if they had tried to charge me.
I don't believe the Map update was done as they didn't call me as was promised when I booked it in and the guy at the desk when I picked it up didn't know as everyone else had apparently gone home.

I've got to get back to them about some other stuff that they failed to do soon and will be putting the request for information in writing.

What on earth is the world coming to when they provide a software reset to try to fix a clearly physical fault with a gearshift paddle not clicking, and didn't even test it, asking me to do so after i picked it up. (So So Lazy...)

I work in the software industry and it's not uncommon for our clients to blame the software for hardware faults, but Holden dealers do the opposite apparently expecting the software to fix Hardware faults?

If I get a flat tire, will they send me a software update as well?