Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Compressing Springs

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
J_D said:
Because cutting the spring causes the car to bottom out all the time as the coils that have been removed are no longer holding the car up. Lowering springs are made out of stronger/thicker steel to stop this. Also a cut spring wont sit in the spring seats properly and can bounce out of the retaining seats while going over bumps.
this is true. coil springs are made to a certain rate and load capacity, what you are doing when you cut a spring is lessen it's load carrying capacity and alter its spring rate, what happens then is, the cut spring will lose its tension a lot quicker, because it is now working overtime to hold up a fat arsed commodore.......bottom line, it's illegal and very, very stupid.

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
yeh i knew it was bad and dangerous but didnt exactley get why. cheers fellas 4 the info.

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
Thin im just going to go ahead and buy a set of King Spring's $220.. Aint to bad for a set of new springs.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
anton1o said:
Thin im just going to go ahead and buy a set of King Spring's $220.. Aint to bad for a set of new springs.
thats what we like to hear. new springs=good.....cut springs=bad
good stuff. let us know how you go

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
TyrePower said $220 for springs $80 install... And going to need a panhard rod..

Should i change the shocks, heard people saying im gona need shortended shocks?

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
My car doesnt have an adjustable panhard rod(previous owner took it off b4 selling the car) and I dont have any probs with it after rolling the rear guards in to clear the wheels. Only got about 1cm clearance on each side but no scrubbing. Dont know bout shocks.

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
Yeah? A mate of mine has 18's and got the PanhardRod.. Im only going to be on 15's But Super-Lows probarbly..

So just wondering if i should get 1 panhard rod and Shocks done aswell.

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
Yeah, might as well if you got the money. Ill probly get one(panhard rod) eventually but its not a priority ATM.