Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

compression ratio on 2002 ls1

phat vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy v6
just want to no what the sandard compression ratio on my vu ss is standard heads and gaskets.
The recomended ratio for the cam i want is 9.5-1. whats the best way to change the compression ratio. shave heads or new head gaskets

phat vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy v6
???

so y would i drop my compression?

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
what cam is it? Specs??
LS1 10.1:1
LS6 10.6:1
LS2 10.9:1

phat vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy v6
cam

HYDRAULIC ROLLER: Street/strip, needs 9.5:1 CR , 2800+ stall, intake, gears, & headers, very rough idle.
COMP CAM
BIG MUTHA THUMPR THUMPER
IN 235
EX 249
IN .573
EX .558
109°

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
vu should be the ls1 10.1:1 comp, i think the only way you could do it is to put dished pistons in, as shaving the heads will increase your compression ratio as your making the combustion chamber smaller in the way of the chamber/bowl on the heads becomes smaller increasing the comp.

could put in a thicker head gasket, i know not ideal but would need to go to a .060-0.065" thick head gasket with standard head chambers, could still how ever do bigger valves and increased port flow without shaving the heads. could increase the bowl chamber size as well i think by machining/increasing the bowl diameter on the heads, which would help drop the compression a little, maybe enough with a thicker headgasket(don't quote me on that i could be wrong on that part).

CRANKN

Reaction score
Members Ride
A slow1
who the fark told u to lower your compression? my ls1 has 9.5c/r and gets 15 pounds of boost shoved down its throat...

up the compression if anything, lowering with make less power

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
iv seen the comp cam specs for this cam and it says exactly what phat vy posted, requires 9.5:1 comp, the book iv got says 10.1:1 comp as well for the ls1.

phat vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy v6
hmmm

year i was going to shave my heads to raise the compression. i dont want to drop CR but that's what is recommended. I don't see what you gain by droping the CR, the smaller version of this cam said the recommended CR is 9-1.
can anyone tell me what i would gain by lowering my CR.

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
Mate I think you will find that the manufacturers specs of 9.5cr is the minimum comp you would need to run this cam not what you have to have....the more comp the better, stick some e85 down its throat and go nuts on the comp ...do it