Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Computer glitches

AreWeThereYet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6
Every now and again my VF Calais computer throws a wobbly and reverts to default settings. The most obvious are the saved radio settings are lost and the passenger mirror dips when reversing (I have set this to off), but I am sure there would be other altered settings I have not noticed immediately. Restarting the car usually fixes everything and I get my saved radio settings back. This has happened about 4 times in 8 months, so it is infrequent (so far!).
Has anyone else noticed this problem? Is it something I should worry about? Any advice on the likely cause?

warrick

Reaction score
Website
members.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VF 6.0 CALAIS V
just guessing here but whats the battery like? does all sorts of weird things when on the way out.
cheers

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Are you using the one key or going between different fobs? Personalisation by driver in mylink sets settings to each unlock button

AreWeThereYet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6
just guessing here but whats the battery like? does all sorts of weird things when on the way out.
cheers
A very good point, and one I didn't think of. The battery is 5 years old and not giving any trouble yet, but it might be wise to get it tested properly. Thanks Warrick.

AreWeThereYet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6
Are you using the one key or going between different fobs? Personalisation by driver in mylink sets settings to each unlock button
I always use the same key fob - my wife uses the other, but does not report any odd occurrences.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
I always use the same key fob - my wife uses the other, but does not report any odd occurrences.
I’d check that setting is off. If your wife unlocks the car with her key, her settings will be loaded when you start the car with your key. Some(all?) VF’s came with 3 keys. If you have the 3rd key press its unlock button and compare the differences between your’s and your missues.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
It likely will be the battery. When you cold start it and the battery is getting old you get more voltage drop at start up. This can make computers play up.
I still don't understand why car manufactures don't add start up caps in for the starter....... Well mazda does now with their I start.

AreWeThereYet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6
I’d check that setting is off. If your wife unlocks the car with her key, her settings will be loaded when you start the car with your key. Some(all?) VF’s came with 3 keys. If you have the 3rd key press its unlock button and compare the differences between your’s and your missues.
You nailed it! Who'da thought that would be the cause? Well obviously YOU thought - it didn't occur to me. Kudos to you, my friend.
I did some experimenting using our 2 key fobs. Just starting the car with the key fob present does not change the settings, but locking and unlocking with the key fob certainly does. I failed to notice that the 'computer glitches' happened after wifey took the car, but only if she locked it at least once while away. Then I have to lock and unlock the car with my key fob to get my settings back.
Thanks for your help.

AreWeThereYet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6
It likely will be the battery. When you cold start it and the battery is getting old you get more voltage drop at start up. This can make computers play up.
I still don't understand why car manufactures don't add start up caps in for the starter....... Well mazda does now with their I start.
I understand dicky batteries can cause weird problems with electronics in modern cars, but it turned out to be different key fobs this time. I agree that caps would improve the starting, but it is never going to happen in Holden cars now. Thanks for your advice.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
You nailed it! Who'da thought that would be the cause? Well obviously YOU thought - it didn't occur to me. Kudos to you, my friend.
I did some experimenting using our 2 key fobs. Just starting the car with the key fob present does not change the settings, but locking and unlocking with the key fob certainly does. I failed to notice that the 'computer glitches' happened after wifey took the car, but only if she locked it at least once while away. Then I have to lock and unlock the car with my key fob to get my settings back.
Thanks for your help.

go into the vehicle settings in the mylink and disable "personalization by driver" and your issue will be solved.
you may need to reset some settings you had but with it disabled the 2 different keys should stop conflicting.