Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Concerning Oil Consumption 3.0 VE

saffas12

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore International
I recently bought a VE commodore 3.0 lt VE with around 120,000 kms on the clock and had the oil and filter changed 2500 kms ago and now when I check the dipstick it is showing my oil level as well below the halfway mark. I know it will be fine for a bit longer before I have to change but just wondering if this quick of an oil consumption is concerning and indicative of another problem.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
I recently bought a VE commodore 3.0 lt VE with around 120,000 kms on the clock and had the oil and filter changed 2500 kms ago and now when I check the dipstick it is showing my oil level as well below the halfway mark. I know it will be fine for a bit longer before I have to change but just wondering if this quick of an oil consumption is concerning and indicative of another problem.
Generally speaking, excessive oil consumption typically happens when the internals of an engine are worn/ tired (I.e. piston rings, etc). Don’t know about your specific engine, but some engines are known to inherently burn excessive oil. Eg. Nissan VQ engines, etc. I would begin investigating by checking for leaks. First two spots I would check would be the drain plug, as well as the sump gasket

saffas12

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore International
Generally speaking, excessive oil consumption typically happens when the internals of an engine are worn/ tired (I.e. piston rings, etc). Don’t know about your specific engine, but some engines are known to inherently burn excessive oil. Eg. Nissan VQ engines, etc. I would begin investigating by checking for leaks. First two spots I would check would be the drain plug, as well as the sump gasket
Thanks for this but I feel like such a donut now. I had been checking the engine when it was too warm which I think made it give a wrong reading. I am still slightly above the halfway mark but am still scared. I think I will do a PCV clean that everyone does to the alloytecs just to make sure it keeps going. Also I havent checked yet but I am kind of sure that there is no leak, havent seen any stains or anything..

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Thanks for this but I feel like such a donut now. I had been checking the engine when it was too warm which I think made it give a wrong reading. I am still slightly above the halfway mark but am still scared. I think I will do a PCV clean that everyone does to the alloytecs just to make sure it keeps going. Also I havent checked yet but I am kind of sure that there is no leak, havent seen any stains or anything..
Ensure you are on level ground when reading the dipstick. Find a flat surface, pull the dipstick out, wipe it and reinsert, then pull out and interpret level. Also, measuring the oil hot should not be out by halfway on the dipstick, although there is oil in the engine’s oil galleries.