Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Condensation in tailight

Hytes

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS Berlina S1
Hey all, noticed some water condensation in rear right hand tailight. What's the easiest method of removing this, is it hard to get in there to fix it, or is it one of those 'annoying' little things that isn't worth the hassle? lol

Cheers :)

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Replaced the rubber seals and/or find out where it leaks and silicone it up.

stockvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec,honda civic,mazda626
VLishes said:
Replaced the rubber seals and/or find out where it leaks and silicone it up.
thats about it and you can try using a bit of locktite on nuts when you tighten them as they tend to vibrate lose again

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
To get the water out you will need to remove the tail light (2 nuts inside boot) and inspect the unit. You may need to drill a few holes to drain and remove all the moisture...maybe leave in sun and wind. Then seal up holes and cracks etc with silicone or blackjack. If you dont dry them up eventually the bulb electrical contacts will corrode

Hytes

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS Berlina S1
Yeah, corroding of the electrical contacts is my main worry. Will have a look at it after i do an oil change on her this weekend. Thanks for the replys though :D

A

anotherstockvs

yer an easy way to remove the condensation is just to get a hair blower and heat it then go crazy with silicone neva fails, mine leaked the right hand side on to

cheers

werd out solider ImI<(^_^)>ImI>

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Be careful with a hairdryer because it don't take much to melt the plastic.

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
as above - remove all traces of existing water (avoid drilling holes to do this as it is just another place for water to get in) then silicon it up tight. I have this problem with my front right indicator. will get around to fixing it soon hehe.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
you could place a little bag of silica gel in the tail light to soak up any moisture (rolf).
but seriously, the whole boot leakin thing with older commys is pretty hard to get rid of completely , it was just a bad design plain and simple.
the most effective way to prevent this happening is to garage the car...i realise when your at work, etc... its probably outside in the rain but as long as its not leakin real bad no all that much will get in.