Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Confused with my diff.

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
The VY Storm Ute was apparently based on the V6 Ute. Yours must of been optioned with LSD. As for the diff, the 3.08:1 was used in all V6's, auto and manual and the V8 auto. The 3.46:1 was used on the V8 manual.

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Series I VY SS Ute 5.7/M6
cheers guys.

That pretty much sorts it out.

I thought that the LSD and the open diff had the same ratio.

I'm still unsure why a sign making company would want their promo ute to have an LSD though.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
The 3.07 & 3.46 diff are M80's and the 3.08 and 3.45 diff's are M78 's both were available through to the VZ and both could be LSD the M80's are mainly found behind the L67 and V8's but could be thrown in anything if supplies of M78's were short or they were getting rid of the last of the M80's in the factory ,although the M80 is bigger strength wise theres sweet F/a in it and the M78 had advantages over the M80 and vise versa

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Now, correct me if im wrong.

I read somewhere on here that for a manual ute with the 3.46 diff, you have to change to 3rd to hit 100km/h.

MAYBE the owner changed the ratio down (plus LSD'd) so that they can hit 100 in 2nd?

I don't know why someone would do that, but thats a possibility.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Other way round. Lower diff ratio will cause it to rev higher for the same speed and gear. Lower ratio will improve acceleration.