Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

connect Ipod to VT Calais stereo

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Heres the solution I use in the VX Exec

http://www.cyber.com.au/users/grant/rca.html

Ive simply wired it up according to those instructions, except instead of wiring it to 4 x seperate rca plugs (this gives you front and rear seperate) I connected the 2 wires at the plug ... if this makes sense, brought 4 into 2.

Because if you leave it as per those insturctions you'll have 2 empty sockets and ipod coming out of either front OR rear depending on how youve plugged it in, unless you wire 4 x RCA plugs into 2 then into a 3.5mm jack.

Either way you need to get the 4rcas down to 2 ... you might need to play with it to work it out.

Took me 20 minutes one saturday afternoon, a couple of bucks at DSE and it works supurbly.

ATM Ive run the RCA plugs down through a hole in the under radio compartment (where the cig tray would sit) so when not in use I just throw the cable back in there and it all hides away like its not there, but when I get the whole lot properly setup I'll be installing a 3.5mm headphone jack into the dash with a small 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to plug into the ipod and into the jack. so the ipod will come out of the car and theres no cables lying about.

Then I downloaded this audio file http://www.thelug.com/radio/5minblank.rar and burnt it to a CD as many times as I could. Now when I want to listen to the Ipod I wack this CD in and it plays a 5 minute blank song, then goes onto the next 5 minute blank song ... antenna goes down, looks well. I also brought one of those $24 Genuine Holden phone brakcets the other day, it just clips onto the dash (I will post pics shortly).

Ive now got an ipod mount lined up for 80 bucks, Ive just been blu tacking the ipod to the bracket ... just gotta buy it, I'll wire it into the phone plug that sits under the dash so the ipod charges while clipped in (its designed to plug into the cig lighter). Only problem is this one I'm looking at has an FM transmitter built in which is no good because I wont use it so that'll be a waste of money, but I cant find a mount that doesnt have an FM transmitter.

Now my problem is trying to work out how to hook up an AMP without losing the Ipod input because the AMP will take up all 4 sockets :my:

lockmac

Reaction score
What was the quality like when you did this? And what is the point of the 5 minute blank song.. is this so their is no sound and thats when the music form the ipod comes out?

djhampson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
With my VT, I bought an AMP and made up a little switch box which i hid in the center console. I then got some High-Low converters from Jaycar (which convert the speaker outputs down to Line outputs i.e. speaker to RCA) which connected the stock head deck to the switch box. The iPod also goes into the switch box.

When I wanted to listen to my iPod (99% of the time) I flicked the switch and the head deck did nothing. Only bad part of doing this is that you have to use the volume control on the ipod.

When the cd part of my stock headdeck died I ended up buying an Alpine head unit with Ipod connection. This works much better but the first setup still worked very well for a small cost and it makes it easy to install a sub as well.

ciaranvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Exec.
if you are willing to spend some dosh, just buy either a pioneer, jvc or kenwood hu that allows fully integrated ipod control thru the stacker port. I have mine setup so my ipod is stored in my centre console bin and i change my songs on the hu.

best sound quality through the usb port of the ipod and track names show on the screen.

bsbozzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S V6 M5
New pioneer models just plug the ipod in via USB, no need for the adapter

nEb.

Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VY II Acclaim
just buy an aftermarket deck that plays mp3s, save ur self hassle with wires and all that other junk one cd can hold upto roughly 150 - 200 mp3s, burn your self a few cd's and u cant go wrong

Michael Hijazi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
vz ipod connection

Hi guys i have got a vz executive with the single disks blaupunkt stereo. Is there any way to connect an ipod directly to the unit with out going through the radio. Also I have been told that you can buy a genuine upgrade stereo like what comes in the calais does any one know where i can buy one from and how much are they worth

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Hi guys i have got a vz executive with the single disks blaupunkt stereo. Is there any way to connect an ipod directly to the unit with out going through the radio. Also I have been told that you can buy a genuine upgrade stereo like what comes in the calais does any one know where i can buy one from and how much are they worth
Always plenty on ebay: iPod interface: Holden VY/VZ GTO stereo/radio/CD player - eBay Other Car Audio, Video, Audio, Video, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 16-Dec-09 19:17:06 AEDST)

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini

Give the ASR section a good read u'll find wat ur lookin 4 :p

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/asr-audio-electronics/

or Gregs official site:

http://www.asr-audio.com.au/

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
As said above talk to greg in the asr section he does Vt VX VT VZ

also there is a guy that does them for the VT VX that gives you ipod control through your wheel controls also.