Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Console bin illumination

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I would like to instal the illumination in the console bin as per the Calais. Can anybody advise where I will find the plug for the wiring to connect to? Obviously, it's in the console somewhere, and I've had the cover off already, but couldn't find a spare plug socket which was obvioulsy for that purpose.

I know that e-bay has kits, but $40 seems a bit rich when you consider what the kit consists of. I already have the light and switch and the wiring can be made up simply enough, I just need to know where it connects to.

Can anybody help?

Regards

pj

Mr_Calais

go the K's
Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Calais and 03 VY storm ute 05 hilux
hey just make up ur own wiring and find a powered wire eg- using the power socket (cigarette lighter) or something similer and jus make a good ground or also use an existing one. Ive done the same in my ust works fine no probs

Dowling_s

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VY2 SS
what switch did you use?

trentvy

Dodges raindrops
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S pack
From memory in my s pack I felt around in that hole were the light goes i felt some wires in there, wether its for the cigarette lighter i dont know.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Once you remove the top panel (where the window switches and accessory buttons are), look under there on the front edge of the bin - you'll see a connector which runs wiring to the cig lighter socket. (these would be the wires you felt trentvy) The thick black wire with the white trace is ground, and I can't remember the colour of the wire for the ciggy lighter +ve connection. (there is another brown/white wire in the connector, but this sin't the one you need - that's the illumination circuit for when the headlights are on)

As for the switch, I'm not real sure - it's a pin switch of some kind, most likely available from Holden. It wouldn't be too hard to adapt something else though.

Cheerz!

Dak666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Wreckers would be the best bet, the switch and the light are the same as the glovebox one.

Farlig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Clubsport
in the kit, its a replacement loom for the cig light that has a piggy back plug that connects to the console light on the way to the cig/light switch. like you said not worth the $40 unless you need the light socket and switch aswell.