Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

contemplating buying a VN...

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS equip, 4.2L stroker on its way.
Okay guys so I've been thinking about buying another projectcar on top of my VS, and I really like the share of .VN's.

I'm just after some opinions on how a buick 3800 .VN compares to a VS 3.8, say both being auto and general performance.

My vs is going to be off the road for a while as I'm soon going to be building a COME racing ecotec package and wi need a daily to muck around with.

Cheers

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry for the typos guys, damn android phone.

jackvanlawick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VP Series 2 (Executive)
This is just my opinion... But I think ecotec engines are far better then buick. I'm sure everyone agrees seeing the amount of conversions i hear / see on here.

Depending on the price I think it would be a great little project for anyone. I myself have a VP which goes quite hard.

So if you are keen and have the funds I say go for it

Slick_Vp_23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SSV M6
I suppose it's a matter of opinion, but I have a Vp also and I much prefer it to the ecotecs. They may be more economical than the Buick engine but in terms of power they are a little slower and start to die at about 130-140kms. I've "tested" this by "safely engaging a Vt commodore in a performance contest" :whistling: and despite the age difference of both the car and engine, my Vp still bested the Vt. In the end it's your preference above anyone else's, you'll be able to make the comparison yourself if you do buy a Vn. Cheers :spot on:

89vn_Jai

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exectutive
^ dude no need to yell. Vn is quite a good car and the fact they are basic makes them reliable and easy to mod/work on. I would recommend them. Just keep in mind because they are getting on in age bits and pieces will be wearing out.

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
He compared a VP to a VT, those VT things are hella heavy, just sticlmto another VS, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

IMO VP's look....ummm.... Unappealing...

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
If you're going to get a VN make sure you're prepared to do a bit of repair work. the parts are dirt cheap but they will cost you and arm and a leg to keep running if you rely on mechanics, especially one with 300,000+ k's on it (which is the majority of them). they're pretty easy to work on though, And my VP does beat my mates VX.

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I'm aware if I buy a VN it will need allot of TLC, but that's what I like doing, and VN's seem very basic and easy to work on. Im very fussy with my cars, and don't stop fixing things until everything works and the car drives like new. I just like the look of VN's, always have. But I'll probably sway towards a 5.0 powered VN as a project car, not much point owning and modding two V6's really.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
IMO its better to have one project at a time, just buy a cheap little daily. What happens down the track if funds run low and your'e stuck with two worthless half finished projects?

you could also buy another motor and trans for the VS, build them up and keep driving your VS. maybe work on the brakes/suspension/drive line along the way. Then spend a month putting it all together :)

just ma 2c.

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
IMO its better to have one project at a time, just buy a cheap little daily. What happens down the track if funds run low and your'e stuck with two worthless half finished projects?

you could also buy another motor and trans for the VS, build them up and keep driving your VS. maybe work on the brakes/suspension/drive line along the way. Then spend a month putting it all together :)

just ma 2c.

Well I've just ordered a $9000 engine package from come racing for the VS, so that's already done haha. In the mean time I'll be doing the brakes, suspension and running gear to cope.

Funds won't run low, so I'm not worried about having worthless car shells around. My whole life is doing projects, the cars just being some of them :)