Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Conversion Ecotec In A Vn

J

jad

Does anyone think a VS ecotec engine in a VN is a good idea.
my friends got a VN and the engine is just about had it,he is goin to do the above

Locksmiff

Reaction score
QUOTE (jad @ Nov 17 2003, 02:22 PM) Does anyone think a VS ecotec engine in a VN is a good idea.
my friends got a VN and the engine is just about had it,he is goin to do the above
There is more to it then just dropping the motor in. It will need the computer. The auto in your car isnt computer controlled, so you may need to modify the PCM or get the auto from the same car.

The other alternative to that is to buy Haltech E6GM and not worry about the PCM from the ecotec car, which over comes the auto problem. I have the E6GM myself, plus running one of the Venegence maps. I had a few guys want the same for their cars after they saw me walk into the workshop and do a F & Furious on it, plus the fact it was str8 out of the extractors at the time we started it up so it sounded insane . I couldnt stand in the workshop as the pressure from the sound was hitting me in the chest and freaking me out .

I have a VR dash etc in my car and I was going to convert it to the BCM as well to over come a few headaches with converting the wiring from a VN to a VR/VS, so I rang Haltech to ask about that and about the othe puters for the other guys. The E6GM is good for the commies up until the VR/VS it still works with a VR/VS but only the manuals, due to the electronic gearboxes.

It in basic form would be a basic drop in or not much really to it, if anything. I live with a Mechanical Engineer you could say. 4th year is done etc so yeah he is next year and quite a good one too. I was discussing with him last night a few things and he was asking about the ecotec as I was looking at the differences between the eco and ev6 (the one before it) as I want to use the heads and a few other bits off the eco on my ev6, which would make my twin throt setup a bit easier to fit as well, anyway, I was comparing the 2 motors from the factory holden manuals and I can honestly say 99.9% that if anything you would have to tap a couple of holes and all parts could be used anyway.

I was asked by Shayne (engineer) why I didnt want to use the eco, as I wouldnt need him to sign off on it. I said becuase if I wanted to use a stroker in the motor I couldnt because the eco has had 25 mm of metal remove from the deck (area the heads bolt down to) which would mean, that it would smash the pistons into the head if I tried it with an eco, because the stroker has 25 mm extra in it, and if you tried to make or get pistons for one, they would be that tiny they would come out of the bore on the down stroke most likely.

I said if I was going to go to the extent that I needed you to sign off on it, I would put a GEN 3 in it .

Thats my take and a the solution to ya problem . You also only need a shitty P 120 for the lappy you need for the haltech.