Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converted VS V6 to VS 5Ltr

VB SLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SLE Commodore/VS 5LTR/VZ Clubsport
Hi all,
I bought a VS 5Ltr about a month ago and I really want to get it on the road. The thing is it is still registered as a v6. Now everything in the car works and it runs and drives. I know I have to upgrade the suspension and the brakes and most probably engine mounts to get the car through regency to get a roadworthy certificate. Is there any other upgrades I need to make before going through to get the car road legal?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

VB SLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SLE Commodore/VS 5LTR/VZ Clubsport
Just swap everything attached to the k frame
haha you make it sound easy! im no mechanic but i just wanted to know what is required to get it road legal!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Brakes are the same V6 to V8.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Front springs are the only suspension difference. Brakes are the same.

Edit. I thought you were talking about doing a conversion. My mistake.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
If your location in your profile is still current you dont need to go to regency...Also Ive heard so long as the car is still regoed and v8 is from the same series as the v6... You just need to go to rego department with the engine numbers and vin number and tell em, they will change info to suit and charge you the extra for the upgrade...Thats what Ive been told nfi if its correct,so talk to the local rego place first

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/driving-and-transport/vehicles/vehicle-standards-and-modifications

Go to "Engine and Exhaust Modifications"

Because you have fitted a larger capacity engine you have to submit Statement of Requirements application.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine changes statement of requirements
Before installing an engine of greater capacity than the one originally supplied, a Statement of Requirements must be obtained.

When assessing an application the following factors will be considered:

• weight
  • power and torque output in relation to braking
  • strength of the vehicle
  • effect on steering and suspension components
  • the effect on vehicle handling.
A Statement of Requirements can be obtained by submitting an MR620 Application to Modify a Motor Vehicle (482.3 KB PDF) to Vehicle Standards.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
If you read the section on the engine page it states
"If the engine in your vehicle has been changed with no modification and is an available option or standard specification for your vehicle make, model and year, complete a MR7 Application to Alter vehicle or trailer details (118.3 KB PDF) form and submit it to Service SA for approval.
If you go into the rego office they will give you the form and may help with filling it out..if approved then you just need to go in and pay the extra...as I said thats what I have been told,but they may ask for an engine number check ect...if the OP is in Renmark then its a lot easier as its normally a cop shop visit...regional areas are so much easier in S.A