Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting Auto to Manual

Ute2004

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6 M6
Is it possible to convert my ute to a manual transmission. I prefer manual over auto anyday, but was wondering

a) if its worth doing

and

b) if it will mean the car would be worse off afterwards

Thanks

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
dude, I've been a mechanic for over 14 years, and seen/done a few conversions of my own and customers vehicles. Dont do it save ur money, if ya really want a manual, sell ur auto and buy a manual, heaps cheaper, less head fucts and it will stop your girlfriend/wife leavin, ya dog running away....etc

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
I once gave serious consideration to reverting to a manual also. I asked around, and received advice from numerous people that responded just as genIIIbandit did - don't bother. :bop:

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
I have also been a dedicated manual man and my VY S is a manual. If I had the chance I would not convert my auto due to several reasons due to:

1) The 5 speed gearbox is noisy by design. I complained when I picked mine up new and they showed me another with exactly the same whine in 1st and 2nd.
2) The cost of doing so is hard to justify unless your tranny is stuffed.
3) There is a poofteenth difference in fuel economy these days.
4) When selling your car, the ID plate will not reflect the correct transmission, making people think twice about buying it.
5) I do not know for sure but I am guessing these days you would need to have it checked and approved by an Engineer (even though it may seem a straight swap).