Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting Manual Windows To Power

S

sickvy

Hey. I was just wondering, well seriously thinking of installing power windows into my 03 vy executive. Has anyone actually done this? And wat exactly is involved. I have had a quick look under the centre console and there seems to be loose wires where the switchs for the windows are suposed to be installed. Im under the impression that motors would have to be installed in each door and moding the door trims as well to both, block the old "window winder up & down thing" and install switches in the back doors. can anyone give an approx cost involved? Or can you buy a kit or something from holden?
Thanx in advance.

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 T5 SDN & VY V6 M35 UTE
I look into doing this on my VY base model ute. Trouble is apart from the wiring into the doors and console. The BCM has to be capable of running the power windows. Now this is where it got nasty, there are a huge amount of slightly different BCM's. But I did find a part number that said excludes power windows (which was the same as what I had under the dash). Then next option was with power windows and went into the "S"models etc (This is the one I thought I would use). The third option was for Calais etc. If you change BCM's in a VY the new BCM has to be linked to your PCM and the remote keys. This is possible but the wiring from the BCM to control your power windows is NOT in the harness. It would involve replacing the complete under the dash BCM harness. Something I decided was to big a job to be bothered with. Also another hiccup showed up for Doc Bob recently when he changed a BCM in a late model to help get a manual control antennae to operate (which wasn't an option in the vehicle originally). After changing the stereo/wiring/BCM etc and doing the link up to the PCM etc. He found that it didn't like it and things start to not work or only half work. Possibily because other wiring options weren't being use by the BCM. Which caused a malfunction of some type.
So the bottom line is I decided I didn't want the hassles of finding out the hard way that the effort to install it all might still not operate correctly.

Good Luck :)

Last edited:

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW J&S Supa Sport Dune Buggy
You don't need to change your BCM for a power windows installation, or change any looms, but you may have to run some new cabling. Electric Life in melbourne do the install with all new gear for around $1100.
Or you could buy the gear from them, or get it second hand from a wrecker, and do it yourself.

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toa said:
You don't need to change your BCM for a power windows installation, or change any looms, but you may have to run some new cabling. Electric Life in melbourne do the install with all new gear for around $1100.
Or you could buy the gear from them, or get it second hand from a wrecker, and do it yourself.

So are you talking VY specific here ?

As why do GMH make BCM's for the VY with and without Power window capabilities ?

Are you suggesting not going through the BCM for your window control ?

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
No not VY specific.

GMH make three or four different BCM's for each model, have done for a while, my smash repair mate seems to think it's done to stop people buying an exec and easily speccing it up to say a berlina standard, as opposed to a money saving exercise.

You don't need a BCM to control power windows, they have been around long before BCM's. The poverty pack commys with power windows ticked as an option received an extra little power windows module which would control the "auto down" function. All the higher specced BCM's do for power windows is control this and a power windows timer for when you turn the ignition off.

There is no need to fiddle with your BCM if you don't want to.

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toa said:
No not VY specific.
All the higher specced BCM's do for power windows is control this and a power windows timer for when you turn the ignition off.

There is no need to fiddle with your BCM if you don't want to.

How does the power windows timer work when the ignition is turned off ?
Like what does it do then ?

Do the windows all wind up if they are left down after a timed out period ?

Btw would you have number for Electric Life in Melbourne ?

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
The timer just gives you a couple of minutes of power window control after you turn the ignition off so you can adjust your windows.

Electric lifes number is probably floating around in a thread on here somewhere, or you'll find them on yellowpages.com.au

kolonel

Reaction score
With existing front electric windows, is it easier to install the rears, or just as comlicated ?

Regards
kolonel

UteFreak

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S2 Ute
hi guys,

i wanna put power windows in my 04 Vy ute bocause who ever originally got it didnt get them in it. i've got an old vx at home from a wreck. i got the regs and looms out of it and got a switch for the centre console. is there any thing else i need other then door trims etc? and whats the best way to hook it all up?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
So are you talking VY specific here ?

As why do GMH make BCM's for the VY with and without Power window capabilities ?

Not all vehicles were fitted with power windows as standard. Initially only the 'up-market' models had such feature. Wiring looms were indeed different between models. Your car may not have the necessary additional wiring to enable easy connection to power windows.