Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting Non- Cruise control to Cruise control, has any one done it before?

Hoffy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Commodore Executive, 2005 Holden VZ S ute
Hey fellow Just Commodore user's, I am not sure if this question has been asked before and my greatest apologies if it has been, how ever I am looking at buying my father's 2004 VY base model ute, it has Low K's (58thousand to be exact) for $10 000 and is in perfect condtion, the only down side is it has no cruise or power windows,. I was wondering if any one would know wether the factory wiring loom would be there and is it just a matter of getting the cruise control module and new idicator stalk? or would I need to upgrade the body control module(BCM) as well? I have had a quick look through the forum, and couldn't find any threads unless some one could guide me in the right direction,

Many thanks Hoffy

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
You would need to look what level BCM the ute has, i doubt the wriring loom would already be in place.
Iv done it before on the VS's and i had to run extra wires into the BCM, provided the BCM i was working with could support CC internally.

Electric windows would be a bigger job and the BCM proabably wouldnt suit them.

If you swap the BCM you need to swap the PCM and key head as well.
then you would need new door trims, door wiring, etc etc. BIG JOB

Craigo8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE E1 Senator Signature
Hey fellow Just Commodore user's, I am not sure if this question has been asked before and my greatest apologies if it has been, how ever I am looking at buying my father's 2004 VY base model ute, it has Low K's (58thousand to be exact) for $10 000 and is in perfect condtion, the only down side is it has no cruise or power windows,. I was wondering if any one would know wether the factory wiring loom would be there and is it just a matter of getting the cruise control module and new idicator stalk? or would I need to upgrade the body control module(BCM) as well? I have had a quick look through the forum, and couldn't find any threads unless some one could guide me in the right direction,

Many thanks Hoffy

Hey Hoffy
If you check the wiring loom on the drivers side under the bonnet the connector for the cruise module will be taped to the loom.Look along the length of the harness close to the firewall and near the mounting plate for the module.If its not there then it is possible but cheaper to go aftermarket.If the connector is on the loom then it's an easy job.Good luck & Happy New Year

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Hey Mate.
Check for this plug, its tucked away under on the drivers side under the big black tube of wiring on the strut tower. Basically right beside the space for the cruise control module that sides beside the ABS unit. The Wiring should be there already for the Cruise control. The Power windows generally not :( My VX dont have it but had the cruise control loom. so $100 second hand unit had cruise control :)

2012-03-07120005.jpg

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
I went looking for mine and it wasn't there so it must be a series 2 thing to already have the plug there

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
I have found that the series 2 has less wiring than the series 1, eg the fog light wiring is there in the s1 but not the s2

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
There is no need to change BCM. Even without the wiring, there is a factory patch loom, and then you only need the stalk, module in engine bay, with throttle cable of course.

I sourced all of mine, for under $100, took 2 or 3 hours to fit, and it works like factory (because it is I guess).

Instructions I got from Holden for free, it is just a printout, 10 sheets, but very well diagrammed and written. I believe he said it's what the dealers used as a guide for dealer fit cruise.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

nitro00000

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH 5.7 Statesman
There is no need to change BCM. Even without the wiring, there is a factory patch loom, and then you only need the stalk, module in engine bay, with throttle cable of course.

I sourced all of mine, for under $100, took 2 or 3 hours to fit, and it works like factory (because it is I guess).

Instructions I got from Holden for free, it is just a printout, 10 sheets, but very well diagrammed and written. I believe he said it's what the dealers used as a guide for dealer fit cruise.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Do you have the patch harness instructions still? I need it please [email protected]