Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting, well Converted my VR BT1 to Ecotec V6..

mike49

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR, VX, VN Commodore's
as the title states, my buick decided to blow up on the weekend, got a hold of a written off VS and pulled the motor n ecu and wiring loom etc out of that and put in the VR. changed all the pwr steerin lines n heater pipes etc so its all ready to go in... but ive heard i might need to change the BCM? one thing, what is a BCM, where is it, and how hard is it to change, and does anyone have any instructions?

something about the VS ECU wont talk or communicate to my VR's BCM and ill need to swap them over?

its not a problem because ive got a whole VS to do it with, so its just the matter of swapping it over but i dont know what it is or where it is haha

any help would be much appreaciated, cheers.. Michael

badger__rox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VnExecutive
the bcm is up under the steering wheel from memory, and the vs key will become the key for you vr if you change the bcms too i think??

mike49

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR, VX, VN Commodore's
yeah cheers mate
i heard i have to change them so the car would run etc :S

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
BCM is body control module. Not sure exactly how it relates to the key and ECU, except that upmarket models had High range(?) BCM's and Equipes and cheaper models had low range(?) BCM's, it was all to do with whether it had electric windows and climate control and such, but if you're doing the conversion it would be better to go the whole hog and get an ecotec BCM instead of trying to mismatch parts like that.

Similar to when people do Auto to manual conversions but still use the auto loom instead of getting a manual one, then wonder why the car keeps stalling? go figure. Do it right the first time.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I'd be checking with Holden about the VR's BCM compatability with the VS ECU. If it sends the same type of signal to the ECU to allow it to start the engine then I'd guess you just need to get the codes matched otherwise you will need a VS BCM probably of the same level and it's key head to put on your old key tang. You can probably then get your old keys recoded to suit if there any good?

mike49

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR, VX, VN Commodore's
yeah cheers guys, think ill put the VS BCM in the VR and then use the VS button heads..

does anyone have a pic of a BCM so i know what im looking for? cheers

mike49

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR, VX, VN Commodore's
found the BCM :)

Now.. Theres 2 connectors on the ecotecs injectors, well i think thats where they goto, the connectors go on to some wires that come out of the loom that goes to the headlights n indicators etc... do i really have to change that whole loom on the drivers side that goes to the headlights n indicators etc? or can i trace those 2 connectors that goto the injectors down the loom and cut them out the loom separatly and put into my VR? or will i have to use the whole VS loom?
i hope that made sence
heres a pic of the connectors im talking about, and also the pic of the motor, Now that does look alot better then the buick :D

Attachments

• 100816_185559.jpg
    100816_185559.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,744
  • 100816_201128.jpg
    100816_201128.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,093

mike49

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR, VX, VN Commodore's
im actually unsure if they goto the injectors or not, it was dark when i looked, but in the pic you can see what ones im talking about

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
they feed everything ecu injectors coils tacho and oil light temp etc the vr they plug i down near the battery vs its up there near the firewall