Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cool coil

metalskin

get sum
Reaction score
Members Ride
73 HQ,VR & supercharged VS SS`s series 11
is there advantages to keeping your coil cool? eg- mounting it seperate from the engine, i run an oil filled coil so heat will effect it, yeah?

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Well, yes, but you wont notice anything.

When you increase the temperature in wire you increase its resistance. You need to increase the temperature fairly massively though to have any real effect.

Temperature Coefficient of Resistance

Just plugging a few numbers in

(I went for a coil resistance of 12ohms @ 25 degrees heated to 100 degrees and the resistance at 100 degrees is 15.5 ohms. An increase of 3.5 ohms. So there is a little, but not much. I cant see the coil packs getting hotter than about 70 degrees, which means the resistance @ 100 degrees is only 14ohms)

Part of the heat generated by the coil packs is not from the engine either, but from the coil packs themselves.

There is very little difference. In fact if you move it you may have to increase wiring to and from it, which would probably increase the resistance by a similar amount.

But if you are happy to try and have the gear go for it. Always good to try and see for yourself.

metalskin

get sum
Reaction score
Members Ride
73 HQ,VR & supercharged VS SS`s series 11
hey chief, thats some good advice. much appreciated. i run an MSD 6al, the coil came with quite a long lead to the dizzy, thats what made me think of moving it.

if a increased the + feed wire to the coil will it be better?

thanks again mate.