Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

coolant change

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
hello all,

I have a 2001 vx with very low mileage, and from what I can gather the coolant has never been changed.

I attempted doing a 40,000km service today but the coolant change stopped me. Was able to drain the radiator ok but pulling the knock sensors out of the engine block is impossible. There is simply no room to work!! Needless to say in attempting to unplug the wiring, due to the lack of space, I broke the wiring to the passenger side knock sensor. As a result I have given up on this 40,000km service; dealer is doing it tomorrow. I was able to do air filter, spark plugs and oil/filter, i suppose thats a start....

How vital is it to drain the engine coolant in the block? I figured that if I drain and refill the radiator with every oil change then the basic result will be the same.

D-Renzow

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice & VQ Stato
never worried about the knock sensor lol on my mums old VX we changed the coolant every 40-60,000kms just flushed the radiator and engine out with a hose both ways until the water came out clears then filled it all back up again

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
For a coolant flush, I normally just take a few hoses (radiator and some heater hoses) off, and progressively flush with a hose. Do this a few different ways until the water runs clear from all areas (have your heater open to flush the heat exchange) and she'll be good to go.

Fill with fresh coolant, bleed, top up and beers...

D-Renzow

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice & VQ Stato
:doh: how could I forget the beers!! :beer chug:

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
im more impressed with the fact its only done 40,000kms...

D-Renzow

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice & VQ Stato
yeah me too, read that after my first post, then I got reminded about beer :p

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
You don’t need to drain the coolant at the block, I used the method below with quite a bit of success; sure it might not be the "right" way, but it works for me.

*Start car and let engine run for 10 minutes (refer below for the reason for this).

*Pull of top radiator hose, stuff a hose into the radiator turn on the hose.

*Start the car and leave run for "x" amount of time, what this will do is push clean water though the radiator (heating it), though the block, and out the thermostat.
If you leave the hose run, and the engine cycle it's coolant a few times (i.e. thermostat open / close) eventually there will be clean water coming out of the block.

*Turn off the car, stop the hose and do up the top radiator hose; now undo the bottom radiator hose and let it drain the water out of the radiator.

*Do up the hose, and fill the radiator with coolant.

Now you have clean coolant, and water in your radiator... I have done this a number of times on a Holden V8, it's worked a treat and my coolant is always that nice green colour.
A word of warning though, make sure you heat the engine and radiator first - never put cold water straight into the block as it can cause cracking (this is why I run it though the radiator first). Also be careful of the water coming out the top hose, as even though it is fresh water it will still is circa 100⁰C after cycling though the engine block.

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
:doh: how could I forget the beers!! :beer chug:

That's blasphemy !!!

yeah me too, read that after my first post, then I got reminded about beer :p

I believe all workshop manuals should have an intro for each service job stipulating required beers for completion. Just for accuracy/comparo

D-Renzow

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice & VQ Stato
I believe all workshop manuals should have an intro for each service job stipulating required beers for completion. Just for accuracy/comparo

:drink:

Great thinker here guys! :) lol

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
The Haynes manual I had for the Peugeot 306 I had had a spanner rating for each activity. 1 spanner meant your mum could do it, 5 spanners meant leaving to a proper mechanic. I guess you could use that as a guide.....