Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant change

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I like how some people say make sure heater is on. Have they actually looked to see if there is a valve for the heater water? VE and VF never had these valves installed so the water is always running through the HVAC. You will also need to flush the engine for full coolant flush.

I was under the impression it was up under the dash and it was not pneumatic but electronically controlled.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I was under the impression it was up under the dash and it was not pneumatic but electronically controlled.
Maybe a flap controlled electronically to change direction of air around the HVAC.

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
I like how some people say make sure heater is on. Have they actually looked to see if there is a valve for the heater water? VE and VF never had these valves installed so the water is always running through the HVAC.
So it is no consequence on the VE/VF as to whether the heater is on or off, but if the same procedure is performed on another car, then it may be required. People work on other cars which aren't VE/VFs....

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
So it is no consequence on the VE/VF as to whether the heater is on or off, but if the same procedure is performed on another car, then it may be required. People work on other cars which aren't VE/VFs....

This is a VF forum....

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, I'll make note to be less helpful next time because we want to be specific to VFs only.

I do now understand that you are advising how to bleed the cooling system in most types of cars. I was being pedantic as I've see the comment turn on heater full blast to get the coolant into the core. This doesn't really apply to the Holden VF vehicles both V6 and V8.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline MY15 Series 1
This is all good information either way! Thanks.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Just a thread dig and a FYI to link to a video of how the professionals do coolant changes

The tool isn't too expensive if you already have a good compressor and definately makes it easier to avoid air locks and subsequent overheating :cool:
But it's probably more logical a buy if you service a few family cars :p

I'm guess with more googling, you'd find some cheaper alternative but the following is the same as what's used in the above video

PS: Ha, SCA sells a similar product

and cheaper still at

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The water flows at all times. In the HVAC is a compartment that is isolated (those bloody actuators) and closes off the hot air in varying degrees. There is no heater tap. VZ was the last to have that.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Vacuum filling is the ducks nuts.