Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant issues

03HBDVYCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 HBD VY CALAIS
Hey guys
I’ve recently purchased a 2003 HBD VY CALAIS L67 and have replacer the thermostat, housing, rad cap and done a full coolant flush
Now I’ve gotten to the point of refilling the radiator, filled it up, started the car with the heater on full blast, let it run and the fan never came on.
Tried letting it cool off and started again and this time the fan came on but the top rad hose sucked itself shut so I immediately turned the car off.
Have I messed up along the way and done something wrong? Or is there another underlying problem?
Cheers

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Might of put the thermostat in backwards if that's possible

turbovich

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
Might of put the thermostat in backwards if that's possible
Doesn't the waterpump just recirculate the flow, irrelevant of state of thermostat's thermal reaction ?
Example:when it's warming up.
Collapse of piping indicates low pressure within system . This is usually compensated via radiator cap recovery valve after thermal generation has negatively ceased, and returning to ambient temp. (engine stopped) .

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Doesn't the waterpump just recirculate the flow, irrelevant of state of thermostat's thermal reaction ?
Example:when it's warming up.
Collapse of piping indicates low pressure within system . This is usually compensated via radiator cap recovery valve after thermal generation has negatively ceased, and returning to ambient temp. (engine stopped) .
your proberly right you sound like you know more then me I was only sujesting it as that's something that's been replaced recently but now that you mention the radiator cap recovery valve ..I would guess he's got a faulty new radiator cap

03HBDVYCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 HBD VY CALAIS
your proberly right you sound like you know more then me I was only sujesting it as that's something that's been replaced recently but now that you mention the radiator cap recovery valve ..I would guess he's got a faulty new radiator cap
It couldn’t be the radiator cap because he cap wasn’t even on. The coolant in the radiator was hotter than the coolant leaving the motor. The top hose was boiling hot and the bottom hose was Luke warm, so it’s almost as if the water is boiling inside the radiator before it even get to the motor.

turbovich

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
Ummm... You are aware that cooling system, as such , needs to be pressurised for optimum efficiency ?
Pipe collapsing unpressurised or vacuum state is interesting tho. Atmospheric pressure seeks to balance all objects/systems.

turbovich

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
your proberly right you sound like you know more then me
No. Not all . I just like to use fancy farkass wording , every now again , to solve cunsce of problems like this.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Maybe your water pump is gone water just circulating with pressure of heat rising so will go to the top hose ...I don't know much about it I was just making sujestions

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It be very hard to put the thermostat housing on if the spring was facing up, I say your system got a air lock from lack of coolant, sometimes you need to give the car a few revs to get the thermostat to open, I had this happen bleeding the air out of my cooling system after fitting new water pump and belt tensioner, she got up to temp but no flow so gave it a rev and she opened up and bubbled like a bitch with heat along with air in my funnel must of lost around 1.5L of coolant, never had a hose sucked in though.