Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant leak behind power steering pump? Help!

LordEthan2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Gday guys, woke up this morning after doing about 160-200kms in the car yestie to a bit of coolant on the ground, put it up on my ramps and it appears its comeing from just behind the power steering pump somewhere, rather wet, dripping quite fast.. what could it be? :S - the waters going down and dripping on the opposite side of the oil drain plug if that helps at all.. strange.

Here is a photo from underneath the car looking up towards the oil filter and surrounding area, as you can see.. pretty wet:

" http://i46.tinypic.com/169khvc.jpg " Excuse the rotation.

the coolant is ONLY leaking when COLD as it seems, i went to the mechanic and we put the pressure tester on it and no leaks to be seen anywhere, the car was still hot.. Whats coolant related that sits behind the power steering pump? :S

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Get some degreaser and clean the engine/hose it off and then see if you can find the leak. Will make it easier to find leak and also less messy for whom ever does the repair work.

Can't really see anything in that picture other than the engine needs a good clean.

LordEthan2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Get some degreaser and clean the engine/hose it off and then see if you can find the leak. Will make it easier to find leak and also less messy for whom ever does the repair work.

Can't really see anything in that picture other than the engine needs a good clean.

It does down that low, the tops spotless, Live up a horrible 4km long dirt road .. punishing! :(.

dagsy

Reaction score
i had to replace the belt tensioner recently on my vt and was surprised to see i had a leak behind that. it was from the bolt closest to the middle of the engine. maybe that's where yours is coming from. another bolt in the idler pulley next to the air con is the same. used some gasket goo on the bolts when i did them up & it seemed to fix it so far.

KustomKulture62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Specialized Hardrock Sports Disc 29er
We to live down a dirt road and the car always looks dirty : ( this is just after a wash and a trip to town.

RomaCampingtrip-September2012020_zps1676e00e.jpg

LordEthan2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
We to live down a dirt road and the car always looks dirty : ( this is just after a wash and a trip to town.

RomaCampingtrip-September2012020_zps1676e00e.jpg

I feel for you.. And ill surely try see if i can find that bolt! As i said from the front and sides - TOP SIDE of engine bay you cant say anything visibly leaking, only from underneath :(

Danny

Reaction score
Members Ride
Soon to get WL
On a ecotec the only water behind the power steering is the pipe to the water pump across to the heater tap and the side of the head hard to tell from that pic

LordEthan2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
On a ecotec the only water behind the power steering is the pipe to the water pump across to the heater tap and the side of the head hard to tell from that pic

Heres a betterish photo, as above mentioned excuse the dirt.. i think i see the welch plugs to the left, how many is there on one side? 3 im assumeing?
5n0xw2.jpg

Coaly69

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ SV8 Auto
Yeah as Immortality said better to clean it when ya get home with degreaser then check in the morning before u drive it. Going to be hard to pinpoint with old cooland all over the shop and a hefty amount of dirt around.

Try pushing the inlet/outlet hoses to block and water pump. Push and hold firmly in each direction see if u can feel/see coolant dripping out from cracks close to the clamps. Do it cold lol.

LordEthan2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Yeah as Immortality said better to clean it when ya get home with degreaser then check in the morning before u drive it. Going to be hard to pinpoint with old cooland all over the shop and a hefty amount of dirt around.

Try pushing the inlet/outlet hoses to block and water pump. Push and hold firmly in each direction see if u can feel/see coolant dripping out from cracks close to the clamps. Do it cold lol.

Well haveing a serious 40minute micro look around i beleive ive found where its comeing from, the bolt on the water pump jacket closest to the power steering pump, its not leaking from the gasket where the bolt is, but follow it back theres another gap where to what looks like another gasket is and its leaking from there? near the end of the bolt i assume... Very hard to get a picture that makes any sense there :\.. Aside all these troubles ive got a new waterpump / gasket on the way but i cant deff say thats it.. certainly seems further back? - The cars waterpump is pretty old anyway so a new Gates seeing as there so cheap wouldnt hurt.