Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant Leak Ecotec

Brett McRae

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX series 2 S-pack Auto 3.8
hey, so i picked up a VS for 300 buks a few months ago, and i was told it had a coolant leak, anyway after it sitting in the shed for months i am deciding to try and fix it and sell it as i have no use for it. The previous owner said it had the inlet manifold gasket replaced and a few months after that happened this is when the leak has started and has been getting worse. It looks like it is coming from above the water pump (already put a new water pump on was my first thought) sorta underneath the thermostat housing, i am not sure if that is very helpful so i have attached a photo of where it looks like it is coming from when the engine is running.
Any help would be appreciated. IMG_0942.jpg

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I'm pretty sure there is an O ring in there and it might need replacing. A cheap fix.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Heater pipe that runs through the belt tensioner housing and into the inlet manifold coolant passage, it does indeed have an o-ring as accentstencil said. You'll lose a fair bit of coolant when you remove the pipe, so have a bucket ready and new coolant premix to be put back in. Make sure you fill and bleed the cooling system correctly once you're done. Check for coolant level the next day before you drive the vehicle and run the engine to check for leaks. Coolants leaks are easily identified with the engine running and at a cold operating temperature.

Put a small amount of rubber grease or vaseline on the new o-ring too, as it'll ease installation.

Good luck!

Brett McRae

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for the reply's what is the easiest way to replace it, and do i need to get a genuine Holden part.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
I think you have to take the belt off then undo the 2 bolts that hold the tensioner on, then you can just give the heater pipe a bit of a twist as you pull it out.

Brett McRae

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks guys, will give me something to do tomorrow.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Should replace the Heater tap while your at it, If it has not been replaced its due to break soon, and since you will have to bleed the system try and do what you can at the same time :)

Brett McRae

Reaction score
Members Ride
pulled the o-ring out and that was definitely the cause of the leak. Does anybody know the Holden part number for the o-ring in the thermostat housing and the o-ring at the front on the near the water pump?

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Thermostat housing is a paper gasket.

Heater pipe to inlet manifold is an o ring type gasket. Measure the ID and OD and thickness of the o-ring and take it down to your local bearing/seal shop. It'll be cheaper than Holden and they are bound to have stock.

dazza33

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Wagon
Just replaced mine, went into Bursons and they replaced it for $1.10