Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant leaking into cabin on carpet drivers side, NEED HELP!

Nathan Walker

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Holden Commodore omega ve v6
For the past few weeks the coolant level has dropped and I can't find the reason why, everytime I fill it, the next day it's right down again. I've only discovered today a damp section in the carpet on the drivers side and when I push on the carpet a big puddle raises. From my brief observation it appears to be coming out of under the head unit where your left knee rests. Couldn't find the leak from under the car so i'm a little stuck.

Does anyone else have this problem? and if you have fixed it how??

Thanks..

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Probably the heater core

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Best case, blocked a/c drain. Worst case, shagged heater core.

countrylife

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VE SV6 2008 Sedan 3.6L
For the past few weeks the coolant level has dropped and I can't find the reason why, everytime I fill it, the next day it's right down again. I've only discovered today a damp section in the carpet on the drivers side and when I push on the carpet a big puddle raises. From my brief observation it appears to be coming out of under the head unit where your left knee rests. Couldn't find the leak from under the car so i'm a little stuck.

Does anyone else have this problem? and if you have fixed it how??

Thanks..
Hi did you end up finding the problem? I have the exact same problem now for the last 6 months in my SV6 2008. A puddle leaking onto the floor behind the driver seat. A couple of times When driving I’ve seen it dripping slightly from the middle console dash. I have had a new evaporator and loads of work done on the air etc now I’m left with this. I’ve never taken the car outta town for over 6 months due to this. I have had it check by a Auto Electric Incase it had anything to do with the air con everything checks out. Now took car out of town for first time yesterday. I broke down. Cars cooling fan was working like crazy, I let it go for a bit but then eventually realised something wasn’t right when it kept going. That’s when I saw the temperature gauge sky rocket to boiling. I began to here boiling. I immediately parked and turned the car off. I could even smell coolant coming through the Vents as well as from outside the car. My nephew came and check and seen that the main top hose off the radiator was gone.
Mai he reconnected it and after cooling down the engine added new coolant to get the car home.Just because of that hose does that explain the leaking into cabin?? Idk. Got back to town and drove around a bit then Cooling fan started to work over time and eventually the temp was fluctuating sitting below half to skyrocketing over half close to boiling. Rang Auto Electrics he suggest nothing to do with the air con but possible the Heater Core. Water Pump and Radiator Cap replaced a couple months ago. I can’t remember if the thermostat has been replaced recently. I’m so over this !!!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The hose could easily blow off if there are airlocks the cooling system. If it got hot enough.
The smell will come through the vents. Air is drawn in from under the bonnet and coolant has a distinctive smell.
So if the floor is wet, you’re going to know in seconds if it’s water or coolant.
It has a distinctive red colour. Pink when it’s dry.

Get the hose back on.
Refill with the red coolant.
Bleed the air out! All of it.
Replace the filler cap with a new one from Holden ($30)
Keep checking the coolant level on the coolant dip stick as it drops down as more air is expelled. Top up over the next week or two
Make sure all hoses are on properly.

anthonylardo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV Redline Wagon
Yep, heater core. I did one of these just before christmas. Same issue with wet carpet.
Here's a video of the "easy" way to replace it.

Bit of a pain in the arse to get it past the steering column, even with the steering column on the floor.

Now, when you get the new one (if you're in Melbourne, Ralph DiSilva Holden sells them for 150, these guys have the cheapest genuine parts out there), you'll need to gently bend the pipes to get in the fire wall. Did I mention gently? Good luck.

EDIT: Just realised this is a resurrected thread. In any case, the above info should help someone.