Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant query

raZel

The ride for life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V - V8
Hey fellas,
About 4 days ago i changed my coolant... i pulled off the hose and the bottem of the radiator and flushed the whole thing out, then refilled it...

after looking in my engine bay today i noticed that my coolant level was WELL below the "MIN" line.... so i topped her up again, but is this normal for that amount of coolant to go missing after you have flushed it? or should i be worried

pimpin_calais

pimpin_calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
dude i have the EXACT same problem. my calais tends to heat up right to the half way point when im sitting in traffic then drops to a quarter when i start going again. you might wanna check for a leak...

Machine_Debaser

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S2
Usually takes a few mins to circulate properly around the engine block and through the varies pipes, after the engine has been running. So just top it up and remeber to check your overflow bottle, if it is low the coolant could of just filled it up when it got hot and stayed there, causing the coolant level in the radiator to drop. On the other hand if you notice any green wet spots around the engine bay or the top of the radiator then you may have a leak. Prob best to do a pressure test on it just in case.

raZel

The ride for life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V - V8
aight, i will check everything out, thanks fellas

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
prolly just got rid of air and as others said circulate properly. shoodnt have to worry i dont think, unless it keeps happening after a few days

Gs VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
97' VS S-Pack Series 2
when ur car is sittin in traffic, there is no air flow goin to the radiator so yes ur car will heat up to the half way mark, but by then ur fan should kick in, and ur temp will drop...

its normal for your car to swallow a bit of coolant at first afta a flush, and theres nuthin to worrie bout if your reserve tank is sittin on min especially when ur car is cold... If you car is cold and your radiator is full of coolant, then u have a proper functioning cooling system...

Peasant

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S Manual Black
How often should u change ur coolant?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Ideally change it as soon as you buy the car so you know it is good.....then read the label on the coolant you used and go from there. Some last for 2, 3 or 4 years. Figure how long you will keep the car as a guide to the quality of coolant you use. Just make sure the label says that it is OK for Commodore V6 engines as they have an aluminium radiator that needs a specific formulation of coolant.

Peasant

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S Manual Black
Very helpful, thankyou