Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Correct Fuel

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Just buy fuel from a high volume station , one that's always busy .

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
Just buy fuel from a high volume station , one that's always busy .

I found this to be pretty darn good advice. Buying fresh fuel is more important than anything.

And i had the same dilemma as you... With my car, it really doesn't like 91 you can actually feel the motor hating the fuel. I use 95 and fuel economy is up and the car runs much better with it. 98 feels even better but i reckon 95 is the best bang for buck (pun intended LOL)

Your mechanic isnt an idiot, although they do say these cars are tuned for 91 i think some work better on higher octane. Also depends how you drive, like a grandma or like its Bathurst (i seem to prefer the latter style for some reason LOL)

And i dunno if im paranoid but fuel quality in general is pretty rubbish. The amount of newish cars you hear pinging driving around (on 91 i assume) its staggering.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
The amount of newish cars you hear pinging driving around (on 91 i assume) its staggering.

Yep, crap design, they don't seem to have knock sensors anymore.... here's a test for a new car you're thinking of buying, take a manual for a test drive, leave it in forth and plant the foot @ say 45 km/h....... such an awful racket.
OK that's mean but seriously if a car can't pull it's weight in 4th at that speed? (not just the cheap shitters either, it's noticeable in the better branded cars aswell.... guess they don't detune them enough for AU fuel standards)

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Yep, crap design, they don't seem to have knock sensors anymore.... here's a test for a new car you're thinking of buying, take a manual for a test drive, leave it in forth and plant the foot @ say 45 km/h....... such an awful racket.
OK that's mean but seriously if a car can't pull it's weight in 4th at that speed? (not just the cheap shitters either, it's noticeable in the better branded cars aswell.... guess they don't detune them enough for AU fuel standards)

Above all being said newer cars are designed to run efficiently, i.e. usually lean, which is more prone to predestination and usually needs higher octane fuel.

I had a new Proton in 1996 and always ran it on premium I thought I was doing the right thing, all I was doing was flushing money down the toilet. Luckily back then we were talking about 5c a litre so not exactly breaking the bank.

2 points here, don't buy a Proton as they are ****, and don't waste money on higher octane fuel unless you need it, if you haven't got a turbo, super charged or high performance engine do a scientific test using fuel economy over some months to guide you.

Calculate your average mileage for a month on each type then try the next type. I found my VX LS1 ran exactly the same on each fuel and the economy averaged to be exactly the same.... Then I had it tuned now I wouldn't risk 91

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
All good and well they're designed for economy but no engine should be pinging when you put the boot into it.
Isn't that what efi is all about? Quicker reaction time and fuel/ignition tables to compensate.
Worse you would get with a carb is it'd bog down and slow, not ping it's head off and still pull harder.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
The VSV6 was turned for 95 and runs it most of the time but runs ok with 91 no pinging.
It was tuned by The1

Jasminka

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cerise Caprice
If you are storing a Commodore for a long time, then put 98 RON in it. That does not go stale so quickly.