Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Correct Mixture for Acrylic & Clear Coat Paint

emir3008

Reaction score
Website
emir3008.deviantart.com
Members Ride
VS Calais
Hey guys, im really in need of finding the correct ratio for acrylic paint and thinners, ive read around and 50/50 is coming up the most, but i want to be sure.

And the clear coat stuff is really confusing me... i read somewhere on a site for clear coat, it should be 4 oz clear coat paint 1 oz hardener and 1 oz reducer but i couldnt find a good explanation on it.

Thanks in advance.

Emir

sm00th

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon
Acrylic is mixed at 1 part paint to 1.5 parts thinners. With the clear it depends on what type of clear it is. What brand is it an what does it say on the label????

shifty6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 5spd
all that hardener and reducer stuff is referring to 2pac.

for acrylic you would be best off going 1:1.5 which is what sm00th said above.

so for example mix 1L of clear with 1.5 litres of thinners.

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
wouldnt waste your time with acrylic based paints there shite. 2k paint is just as easy to use and the results are 100x better.

emir3008

Reaction score
Website
emir3008.deviantart.com
Members Ride
VS Calais
im yet to purchase my paints and that i just didnt want to **** anything up before i painted my bumper, i just assumed i would be needing acrylic paint, but ill ask about 2k paint.

If not ill just use acrylic, but thanks for the help guys, ill post my progess as i spray my bumper.

shifty6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 5spd
wouldnt waste your time with acrylic based paints there shite. 2k paint is just as easy to use and the results are 100x better.

if he's an experienced painter and going to be painting in a proper booth, then yes.

For a beginner, acrylic is much easier to paint and easier to fix up if you make a mistake.
Not to mention it is highly illegal and also highly bad for your own health and your neighbours to spray 2k at home.
so unless you want cancer or respiratory problems down the track, or potentially massive fines now, stick with the acrylic.

emir3008

Reaction score
Website
emir3008.deviantart.com
Members Ride
VS Calais
acrylic it is, haha

just realised autobarn make up paints, what is the quailty of there paint? the place im hoping to get my paint from is 60-75 for half a Litre.

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
bf xr6 daily, vl project, wb ute project
Acrylic is fine. The only reason so many people hang sh*t on it and say 2pak is better is because 2pak has a great gloss of the gun whereas acrylic takes a little cleaning up to look finished. When you take into account the fact that acrylic paint doesn't give you cancer, I know which way I'm going for the typical backyard spray job...

shifty6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 5spd
acrylic paint was used on every commodore up until VR series 2.
so even though most VN's and VP's have pretty **** paint these days, there once was a time when they were brand new cars, with acrylic paint, and it looked basically just as glossy and pretty as 2k.
only difference is as said above, 2k gives gloss off the gun where acrylic has to be compounded and buffed.
2k is also a harder setting, more durable paint.

shifty6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 5spd
acrylic it is, haha

just realised autobarn make up paints, what is the quailty of there paint? the place im hoping to get my paint from is 60-75 for half a Litre.

you'd be better off buying it from an automotive paint store. the price does depend on the brand but also on the colour.
i got quoted $115 per litre for a 2010 model camry red colour, so i just picked a colour which was closest to that from the shop's colour chart, turned out much cheaper.