Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coughing and choking

Ckirkhoff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute S3
Hi all...

I have a problem with my VS III V6 Ecotech ute.
It is coughing and choking when I put the accelerator halfway down or if I go up a hill or anything that require the car to pull a bit harder.
It seems to slowly get worse and worse. Also a little more noticeable when it has warmed up.
It doesn't come up with any error codes and I know it is not the gearbox, cause it makes choking notices when pumping the accelerator in Neutral.
So far I changed the fuel filter, air filter, leads, spark plugs and o2 sensors. So all the cheap option are done ;-)
I did some research on the net and this forum in particular, so I think I have nailed it down to be one of the following parts:

• Fuel regulator
• CAS
• DFI and coils
• Throttle body

When I changed the fuel filter I noticed it was pulling hard and no choking, so I thought it fixed the problem, but when it warmed up it was back. Just feeling it was going great for a moment makes me think that it can't be a bad cylinder compression. And also... Wouldn't that eliminate the DFI and the CAS? Wouldn't they either work or not work?
I might add that the other day the Engine fuse blew. I replaced it and it was fine. Don't know if that makes the diagnosis easier.

What are your thoughts, what would you change next. I am starting to have to change more expensive parts and would like to try not to change all the working parts. :)
Hope anyone can help me with this little problem.

AA6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 ute S2
Id say electrical system. I would check the coil packs out, see if you can borrow some known good ones and swap them in if you can. I doubt the throttle body or fuel reg would get worse with engine temp, and I think the crank angle sensor just cuts the motor entirely.

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
I agree with AA6... next I would also check the coil packs... you could check the specs of them or simply replace them..... unless you have a mate with the same engine and swap

Ckirkhoff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute S3
Just went for breakfast this morning and while driving down there I notice that it still runs really well when it is cold. Obviously can't push it too hard with a cold engine. But it is 100% better than when it's warmed up.
I don't know anyone with the same engine, so I decided to take your advice and get a replacement coil pack with dfi. Will when I get it home.
Someone told me it could be the air flow meter too, but wouldn't that either work all the time or not at all?
Cheers

Ckirkhoff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute S3
*Will update when I get it home.

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
People usually say to replace the Coolant Temp Sensor...but I wouldn't think it would cause it to "cough". Usually I think it would just effect Idle.

AA6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 ute S2
After I washed my engine I had a misfire problem under load, it slowly got better and only happened when warmed up. I ended up changing the coil packs after a while, which fixed it, but maybe it would have got better if I waited longer? I dont know.

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S2 Ute Manual
It would have just been residual moisture in and around your coils shorting them out, reducing the spark. When i wash my engine i normally pull the coils out, spray wd40 on them and then clean it of with a rag.

Ckirkhoff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute S3
Hey guys...

You were right, it was the coil pack. I got a $50 one from a wrecker and it is pulling fine now. It just seem to be running with more vibrations now than before. The coil pack I got was from a VR, and I just put the coils onto VS dfi.
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the coils from the VR identical with VS?
At least I know what is wrong now and maybe I can get so e new ones instead if I feel I need to, so thank you so much guys. Appreciate your help. :)

v6nutz_2012

Self-Confessed Basshead
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
2000 VT S Pac "Gold Nugget"
Hey guys...

You were right, it was the coil pack. I got a $50 one from a wrecker and it is pulling fine now. It just seem to be running with more vibrations now than before. The coil pack I got was from a VR, and I just put the coils onto VS dfi.
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the coils from the VR identical with VS?
At least I know what is wrong now and maybe I can get so e new ones instead if I feel I need to, so thank you so much guys. Appreciate your help. :)
All coil packs from VP S2 to VY are the same :)