Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Could the V8 be saved?

SaUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV ute
I read that too............very interesting article.

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
It's a very interesting idea. I think that the 'Commodore' could do very well internationally with a low aud$ and a company behind it that doesn't need to worry about cannibalising sales of other higher-margin products in other markets.

I really like the idea of adding other variants using the same Zeta platform. I would love to see another Crewman that was executed correctly

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
GM/Holden intend to keep the Commodore name alive and try and trade on it's good name. I highly doubt they would sell it or if they did they would want your arm, leg and first born as well.

It's a nice thought but I doubt it would happen.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
The Ute would sell like bonkers in the US. Never understood why GM supressed it as an export. This guy is serious but wants commitment from government which is why the current industry is closing in the first place.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Yeah there was a thread in the Pub about this.
The transmission business he bought (and which is doing well supplying to BMW as well as Holden & others) was supported by government; as SowDoggyDogg says, ours doesn't see the value in keeping jobs & manufacturing & skills in the country, when we can all instead work in hotels being bus-boys for the emerging middle-classes from third-world countries exploiting their minions to do that stuff.

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
GM/Holden intend to keep the Commodore name alive and try and trade on it's good name. I highly doubt they would sell it or if they did they would want your arm, leg and first born as well.

It's a nice thought but I doubt it would happen.

GM won't sell the commodore name plate, they'll "do their best" to use it on the pos they're trying to flog to us.

But if this guy buys the production facility and gets the rights to platforms and tech that VF is based off, the commodore we know could live on, just with a different name and badge I guess.

RWD4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 ute
The Ute would sell like bonkers in the US. Never understood why GM supressed it as an export. This guy is serious but wants commitment from government which is why the current industry is closing in the first place.

The problem is the "chicken tax" import duty on pickup trucks. Made sending Holden or Falcon utes to the USA unlikely.
I would hope that Guido Dumarey continues to make a RWD coupe utility with IRS - which nobody else makes.
Maybe he wants to make an SUV based on Zeta.
I doubt he would be using V8 GM engines for his future products.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Without heaps of Government money (input) which the proponent will no doubt hold out his hand for, the idea is just that. AN IDEA. I doubt that it will ever get off the ground.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ This is true, there is no place in the world that builds cars without government financial support.
Everywhere that builds cars does so because their government sees the upside to their country/state/whatever.
Our governments would be too scared of being accused of spending 5c of taxpayer dollars, regardless of the positives for the country.