Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Could this be for real? Possibly ending the Pod vs. Panel debate..

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
As you all probably know my car's on gas.. I had a few problems with the gas backfiring and I blew through two air boxes.. They were just shattered, the second one backfired so bad that the scrivets holding the mouth and pipe were blown off.. Throwing my intake into the belt (not good)..

I had a K&N Panel and didn't really notice a performance difference when I got it..

So I just bought a pod filter which I just screwed onto where the old air box was.. I disconnected my battery for about 2 hours and when I put it back on, my "Distance to Empty" reading crawled all the way upto 680km!! I drove for about 30km later today and it's down at 650km..

It used to display about 450-500km just after I filled up with a full tank with my K&N..

It's idling HEAPS smoother, driving HEAPS smoother, accelerating better at high RPM's and is like a different car to drive in every way..

Could these distance to empty readings be right though? Anyone else got this much improvement from a pod..

I'd be more interested to hear from gas users, but anyone else.. Feel free to add..

Cheers..

Last edited:

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
I get about 650-660km's from 66litrs of gas...

I used to get around 400-500 range. The pod made a hell of a difference...

Cheers
MaT

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
I suppose with the better flow from the pod the car can create a better mix of LPG and air, hence better figures.

As far as I can figure, the biggest drawback to owning a panel filter is that even with a cold air intake the air is still turbulent so short of re-working the box or adding one of those intake swirlers [ hyclones? ] the peforman can vary a little. perhaps someone should make a round intake box in a similar shape to a funnel. Almost like a flat topped pod filter.

Make up a shroud or re-adjust a cold air intake to suit and then if you chould get a hold of a filter to suit you could have the best of both worlds.

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
shounak said:
As you all probably know my car's on gas.. I had a few problems with the gas backfiring and I blew through two air boxes.. They were just shattered, the second one backfired so bad that the scrivets holding the mouth and pipe were blown off.. Throwing my intake into the belt (not good)..

I had a K&N Panel and didn't really notice a performance difference when I got it..

So I just bought a pod filter which I just screwed onto where the old air box was.. I disconnected my battery for about 2 hours and when I put it back on, my "Distance to Empty" reading crawled all the way upto 680km!! I drove for about 30km later today and it's down at 650km..

It used to display about 450-500km just after I filled up with a full tank with my K&N..

It's idling HEAPS smoother, driving HEAPS smoother, accelerating better at high RPM's and is like a different car to drive in every way..

Could these distance to empty readings be right though? Anyone else got this much improvement from a pod..

I'd be more interested to hear from gas users, but anyone else.. Feel free to add..

Cheers..

Hi Shounak
What sort of pod did you fit? I ask as I've seen them with prices ranging from $29.95 - >$150.
My VN on gas gets between 400 - 450ks on a tank with a standard filter.
Cheers

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and pumping the brake pedal, will give the same effect. Not even 10 minutes, take the brake pedal off, pump the brake pedal 5 times or so to drain whatever is floating around. Then reconnect again.

Saves alot of time doing it that way.

Anyway i reckon you / or someone should try it that way with a panel filter, because honestly I think its the resetting of the ecu thats done it moreso than the pod.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
bextor84 said:
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and pumping the brake pedal, will give the same effect. Not even 10 minutes, take the brake pedal off, pump the brake pedal 5 times or so to drain whatever is floating around. Then reconnect again.

Saves alot of time doing it that way.

Anyway i reckon you / or someone should try it that way with a panel filter, because honestly I think its the resetting of the ecu thats done it moreso than the pod.
Should I do that now? Or is it a waste cuz my ECU's already been reset?

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pretender said:
Hi Shounak
What sort of pod did you fit? I ask as I've seen them with prices ranging from $29.95 - >$150.
My VN on gas gets between 400 - 450ks on a tank with a standard filter.
Cheers
I bought a SPECTRE Pod filter from Autobarn.. Comes with the 160,000km or 10 year guarantee (ie forever) and is fully cleanable..

It was $50 from Autobarn.. The hoses that hook up to it to extend it are like $80.. Don't think I need one as yet..

Plus the boys in blue cleared it.. Traffic Unit said Pod was only illegal if I had an intercooler.. Apparently I'm allowed EITHER a Pod or an Intercooler..

He also said that if I'm not stupid on the roads or a smartarse, no-one's gonna defect me just for a pod..

habro

Resident Car Hack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I'm with Bextor in saying I think it's just the resetting of the ECU that bettered your DTE. It's not like the ECU would've known you had a pod on there before you started driving, but either way a pod wouldn't change it that much

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Trust me grab one of those $49 pods from Supercheap or Autobarn... My Old one worked as good or even better than my current POD...

Cheers
MaT

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
habro said:
It's not like the ECU would've known you had a pod on there before you started driving, but either way a pod wouldn't change it that much

how do you figure?
when you turn the car back on the ECU is gunna get readings of all this air being available and adjust accordingly.
unlike before with the box and panel filter the pod allows huge amounts of air in and you dont have to be driving along pushin air into the filter box.