Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Couple of V8 Issues - Axle Bounce, key, shocks recommendations

Macca177

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman V8
Hey All.

Couple of questions. Have VS s3 v8 Statesman. Has lowered king springs all round.

Ever since ive had it about - 6 years and 150k kms or so, it has had a some amount of what feels like axles bounce. It was few and far between and easily manageable for most of the time, however in the last few months its now nearly all the time. It is load related (heavy acceleration/towing/up steep hills), changing tyre pressures does change the effect. I have done the uni's and center bearing and Cv boots and repacked all the bearings, recently.

I have not done rear shocks since i first bought the car, this is next to do.
It does have the o/e high performance diff (Not LSD). Any thoughts on what is the cause of the axle bounce/vibrations and next fix?

It has a bit of body roll, so I do want to upgrade shocks to firmer rears - any suggestions?
about to grab a new HD sway bar. Front suspension is all brand new.
Local shops just want to sell me whats on special, and seem to have no idea about valving.

Next issue - the key between selecting start and then back to On/Run has lost its spring to pull the key back. Is this as easy as just grab a barrel from wreckers and change the spring?

Thanks for reading.

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
Hi Macca,
The return spring for the key is in the ignition switch.
You will need a new switch unless you can pull the switch apart and fix it.

Macca177

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman V8
Thanks. Does that mean new keys?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
How are the rear shocks?

Macca177

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman V8
How are the rear shocks?

They are good, not too soft, or leaking. They are Sachs.

I just got tyres today, and the Tyre guy reckons change the Subframe Front Bush Kit and the diff Damping block mount. With IRS. Rubber - $750 installed?

Last edited:

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
No, shouldn't need new barrel
or key just the ign. sw.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Couple of questions. Have VS s3 v8 Statesman. Has lowered king springs all round.
Ever since ive had it about - 6 years and 150k kms or so, it has had a some amount of what feels like axles bounce.

I have not done rear shocks since i first bought the car, this is next to do.

It has a bit of body roll, so I do want to upgrade shocks to firmer rears - any suggestions?
about to grab a new HD sway bar. Front suspension is all brand new.

Yeah, shocks generally only last like 40,000 to 60,000 Ks depending on what kind of roads you're driving. Are they just lows? If they're super lows on standard stroke shocks that isn't really ideal either, will probably amplify the axle tramp if that's so. Would just do the shocks before committing to having the rear end re-bushed (although you should be able to get under and see if they're shagged), I'd have a crack at doing at least the main rear bushing if you decide you want to do it.

The sway bar will probably largely fix your body roll issues (be aware they don't call it a luxo barge for nothing though). What size wheels are you running too?

Macca177

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman V8
Thanks again for the reply.

I have the Super Low- KHRL-46HD King Springs. Kings recommend the MONROE GT SPORT SHORTENED SHOCK. They are sachs at the moment- feel okay but they are about 100k km old. The bushes dont look flogged, just old, so I assume the properties of them are stuffed. Superopro bush kit is cheapest through supercheap auto at $175 and A mate has a hoist, Carton of beer and that will be paid for :)

Is it worth doing any other bushes anyway while under there?

The swaybars look like the bushes are worn so yes definety will try and take the old luxury body roll out next.

I had 20"rims when I bought it, but have since moved back to 18's- I do alot of towing so i just chewed the 20's out in 10k kms!!!!The straight wheel arch have been rolled to fit the 20's but not worth the camber kit, I dont think it would clear.

Holden is $92 for a uncoded key barrel to fix that issue.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I do alot of towing so i just chewed the 20's out in 10k kms!!!!The straight wheel arch have been rolled to fit the 20's but not worth the camber kit, I dont think it would clear.

The lower you go the more the camber issues are exacerbated, so if you do a decent amount of towing on super low springs and you're chewing out out the insides of tyres constantly trying to make the camber kit work may be worth your while. Without seeing pictures or knowing you wheels specs , running a narrower tyre could be your answer. The 18s are a much better handling size than the 20s, but decently specced 17s may even be worth a look.