Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cracked firewall

dreamcatchu

sick puppy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore
well while under the hood this weekend trying to solve a carby issue i noticed i have a crack in my firewall about 2 inches long and about 3 inches away from were the steering comes out, my question is this
is there any point in getting this welded up or is it just going to happen again in the near vicinity due to the heat from the repair, also is it legal to get this type of repair done anymore

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
I would be seeing a automotive engineer first. Ask the same Q, then see if you can get it fixed.
Also never heard of the problem before. I have to check the 2 VBs and 1 VC for this.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
i think thats from the brake pedal being pushed hard into the firewall and over time it fatigues and causes that crack. cos its in that general area it is likely to do it again if repaired

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
well while under the hood this weekend trying to solve a carby issue i noticed i have a crack in my firewall about 2 inches long and about 3 inches away from were the steering comes out, my question is this
is there any point in getting this welded up or is it just going to happen again in the near vicinity due to the heat from the repair, also is it legal to get this type of repair done anymore

I would weld a patch over it when ya do get it welded mate.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Can we get a picture, im rather curious.

dreamcatchu

sick puppy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore
well heres the pic, i went and checked my other vc and it's got it aswell, seems like it could be a common prob.

Attachments

• 100_0096.jpg
    100_0096.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 337

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Hmmm just had a quick look in dads VB and my VC, neither has cracks.

While i was looking, both at your pic and in a VB shell here, i don't think your car has a crack, its just a small lip there.

dreamcatchu

sick puppy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore
nah, it's definitly a crack, the pic doesn't show it properly, the camera focused on the steering for some reason

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
nah, it's definitly a crack, the pic doesn't show it properly, the camera focused on the steering for some reason

I think it's a fold from factory panel stamping, but get a killer light under the dash and see if light shows through the crack on the other side...

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003

I think it's a fold/crease from factory panel stamping, but get a killer light under the dash and see if light shows through the crack on the other side...