Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crank Angle Sensor ? VP Calais

Glen_P

Reaction score
Members Ride
01' VX SS Manual
Hey guys,

I just finished taking off my Harmonic Balancer today to replace it and I was having a look around the outside of the shaft on the motor and noticed what I believe to be the CAS, (A plastic looking thing with three bits of plastic sticking off it where the tabs on the Harmonic balancer pass through it ?)

And noticed that one of the plastic bits is half broken off. Will this cause big drama's if I put the motor back together now ? If I need to replace it does anyone know how much approx would I be looking at paying new?

It's a 92' VP Calais.

Cheers,

Glen

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
yes that is the cas and i just paid $66 for one for a vt from repco, i recommend replacing while u git harmonic balancer off and especially if it is broken (even if it still works fine o would replace it, that way dont have to do it later)

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
was the rubber mount of the harmonic balancer stuffed? chances are you have enough play for the balancer to hit the cas, better off replacin it to be safe then sorry

Glen_P

Reaction score
Members Ride
01' VX SS Manual
was the rubber mount of the harmonic balancer stuffed? chances are you have enough play for the balancer to hit the cas, better off replacin it to be safe then sorry

Yeah mate the rubber was almost completely gone.

Once I replace the CAS, whats the best way to put the new harmonic balancer on ? Should I get the big hammer out ?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Just slide it onto the crankshaft making sure it lines up with the key, then just tighten the bolt to specified torque and that will pull it onto the crankshaft. So that's a big NO for the big hammer.

Last edited:

Glen_P

Reaction score
Members Ride
01' VX SS Manual
Just slide it onto the crankshaft making sure it lines up with the key, then just tighten the bolt to specified torque and that will pull it onto the crankshaft. So that's a big NO for the big hammer.

Okay sounds good. Any tips for stopping the crankshaft from moving while trying to tighten the bolt ?

The bolt came undone really easily when I first removed the harmonic balancer for some reason but now not so easy because the crankshaft is moving with it.

Can anyone help me with this ?

Last edited:

Glen_P

Reaction score
Members Ride
01' VX SS Manual
Ok I have gotten hold of a new CAS unit for about $30, so i'll hopefully get it installed on the weekend.

Then I just need to get the new Harmonic Balancer on. Anyone have any good ideas for locking the motor so I can tighten the bolt ? I have an Automatic transmission which makes it a bit difficult for me.

Cheers,

Glen

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
There are (3) slots in the balancer that, with an appropriate tool, allow the balancer to be locked/held against the chassis rail.

Making a suitable tool is possible with basic hand tools - drill and hacksaw (another contributor to this forum has done it - I've made a couple myself but they are welded. it's another "How To" I haven't got to yet).

Two ~75mm X ~8mm bolts and 4 X nuts through a steel bar (eg. ~600mm length of 50mm x 6mm) would do. Cut the heads off the bolts to leave the plain shank to go into the balancer slots and secure the bolts to the steel bar through holes spaced to match the balancer slots, with the nuts on the threaded end of the bolts.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
You SHOULD be able to whack it in gear and put the handbrake on, it shouldnt move then. Just in drive will do, aslong as its not Park or neutral as they disengage the engine.

Glen_P

Reaction score
Members Ride
01' VX SS Manual
You SHOULD be able to whack it in gear and put the handbrake on, it shouldnt move then. Just in drive will do, aslong as its not Park or neutral as they disengage the engine.

Tried it in all gears but wouldent lock it unfortunately. I'll give Cheap6's method a try using the slots in the balancer