Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

crank angle sensor

C

craigillz

can anyone please tell me how to replace my cas its been drivin me nuts for ages n need to get a new one and replace it on the week end soo can some who has changed one b4 tell me how its done n where n how much a new cas is for vp v6 s1 diagrams on how to change it will help lots thanx

dodgy

Reaction score
Take harmonic balancer off, need 1 1/4" socket? and rattle gun. Other option is put breaker bar on chassis of car and crank car, lots of caution this way!

Undo CAS adjusting bolt, 7mm?

Remove CAS bracket, CAS comes with new one 1/2"?

Fit new CAS bracket.

Sit new CAS in, do not tighten yet

Slide harmonic balancer back on, all the way

Use a small mirror to adjust CAS, make sure there is clearance for on Harmonic Balancer teeth so it doesn't rub

Pull Harmonic Balancer off when it looks right

Tension CAS and put Harmonic Balancer back on

Turn Harmonic Balancer by hand, make sure it does not run and check with mirror again

When OK retension Harmonic Balancer bolt

Mutorisa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 1992
Was I overcharged?

I have a 92 VP Commodore and on 24/3/07 I was charged $293-65 to have a Crank Angle Sensor and Crank Seal Fitted, Now I was charged $438-50 for the same job. Was I over charged?

I am told the sensor may have been faulty and visible signs apparent that a break on one side of the black part that the fins run between. Has this been a common problem where the Sensor separates.

mysteriously even though the Injectors were exchanged 16/11/07 and had been running great up till the vehicle went in for the recent repairs to the sensor, the vehicle is difficult to start, and repairer says the Injectors need overhaul

Thank you

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
$438 seems very high in price, when they have the right tools and it wont even take stuff all time to do.

Where the injectors brand new when replaced, check all sensors to make sure they are good, might help the starting problem, could be fuel pressure pump/filter, but just pull the injectors out and examin them and see if there is anything wrong get them flow tested and everything.

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
yeah seems high.
CAS $50
SEAL $15
1HR LABOUR $140
that would be all i would expect to pay.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
The only way i see it to be that expensive was if the balance was also changed they cost a couple of hundred

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
balancers have gone down in price a lot.
super ripoff now sells them for $80

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
on that anyone in perth that needs it done let me know i have a biug arsed puller for the job

koalasprint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS MY17
I know an old thread, but it helped me get the job done over the weekend. Thanks to the origianl author. Here are a few tips for those with a Supercharged V6. The Harmonic balancer bolt needs a 15/16" socket. Rattle gun won't fit unless you remove the thermo fans. My harmonic balancer puller wouldn't fit unless I removed the thermo fans..... Couldn't get the puller arms onto the back of the balancer so I had to use the back of the front pulley. (S/C motor has two belts and two pulleys which are joined together) There is a ridiculous black plastic cover behind the balancer that has to come off. Mine came off with very careful prising using screw drivers.... took ages though. Maybe someone has a better way?? There seems to be no way to adjust the CAS position. It has two mounting bolts and a locating pin - no adjustment that I could see.