Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crank angle sensor

batemada

Reaction score
Wellington, New Zealand (Yes i know yet another KI
Members Ride
2009 Gold Calais V Sportwagon
I have just been advised by a mechanic when i had my car serviced that he thinks that my crank angle sensor has been damaged when a idle pully was changed by a holden dealership on vy S2 VY and he thinks that is why my average fuel consumption has risen by arround 2 liters per 100kms for both the highway and for round town driving.
I had an idler pully replaced under new car warranty arround 4-5 months ago and it is starting to make funny squeeking noises again as if it had no oil in the bearings.

Does this sound right to people or is the mechanic not know what he is talking about.
Is there any way to tell if a crank angle sensor has been damaged?
My car has not been reporting any error messages while driving it.
My VY has done 65000kms.
Any advice is welcome.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh, your car will miss and will cut out from time to time, but 9/10 from experience will throw a code if somethings wrong, my mates vp v6 ute used to cut out from time to time, cause the crank angle sensor was damaged and would miss a bit. if urs is a v6 which i'm assuming then i think its a simmilar set up in the ecotec as the buick v6.
whats the harmonic balancer like, cause if this is on the way out that can cause it too, as it has the timming rings on the back of it, these had a tendancy for the rubber to split an parts to come of, throwing the balance and timming out a bit, personal experience, my vr did it.but you'll know if it goes, will run like a bucket of **** and will make a knocking noise, may not throw a code as mine didn't, get a torch and shine it on the big main pulley at the bottom of the motor (can be seen from under the bonnet) and look for splits or small pieces missing, its a rubber center and thats what splits, cracks and comes off, may have improved in vy, but check it. or take it back to holden and explain you had the idler pulley replaced and get them to look at it and to check for damage at the crank angle sensor, pulley will propably be replaced under 12 months part and labour warranty, just ask them, c what they say
good luck with it, could also be a dry belt the noise

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
what are your spark plug leeds like, might have one split boot, causeing a jump, resulting in higher fuel consumption (not enough spark to a cylinder, not burning fuel properly), giving the impression of a crank angle sensor, had that happen too in my vr.

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VE SSV 6.0t V8 A6 SEDAN
I Doubt that the crank angle sensor would be damaged from changing an idle pulley. The Crank Sensor is located behind the Crank Pulley and is no where near the idle pulleys. (Especially that it only done 65,000Km).
Your increase in fuel consumption could be caused by: Spark Plus, Leads, Dirty Throttle body, Dirty air filter, or even Oxygen Sensors, Check your tyre pressures.
Maybe even some bad fuel (ie Shell).
Try BP Unleaded or BP Ultimate for a few tanks.
Buy some Carbi Cleaner and Cleanout your throttle body intake.
I usually find that just keeping the plugs, air filter, and Throttle body clean, this helps keep fuel consumption to a minimum.

batemada

Reaction score
Wellington, New Zealand (Yes i know yet another KI
Members Ride
2009 Gold Calais V Sportwagon
thanks for the reply oztech007, i have a K&N panel filter wich is in good nick, the plugs are only 3000 or so kms old and the leads apear to be in good nick. what resitance reading should stock holden spark leads be giving if in good nick?

I only use BP fuel in my VY, over here there is no differnce between the fuel used by the 4 main oil companies apart from any extra's they may put in the fuel.