Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crank case Pressure

ToMMMaY

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Berlina S Pac SII L67 Turbo Project
im getting oil blown out of my oil return line from my turbo
and as sirnemises said it could be crankcase pressure hoping its not as from what i read its a bitch.
:(
Anyways What should i be looking into first if it is
Cheerios

SirNemesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
WHII Statesman
Managing crankcase pressure is not difficult. Managing crankcase pressure with emissions legalities in mind is a different story.

Assuming you don't care about emissions. The easiest option is to add breathers to the engine. Weld/tap some barbs onto the rocker covers and put some small filters on them. That will reduce crankcase pressure. Of course that will give you an oily smell, but it is better than blowing out seals and dipsticks.

An engine with less crankcase pressure seals the rings better, which results in more power.

There are some more fancy methods like using an exhaust venturi to suck crankcase pressure. Not a bad system, but doesn't work great with high back-pressure exhaust systems. There are also vacuum pumps, but that is getting a bit more extreme than what is required.

ToMMMaY

Reaction score
Members Ride
Managing crankcase pressure is not difficult. Managing crankcase pressure with emissions legalities in mind is a different story.

Assuming you don't care about emissions. The easiest option is to add breathers to the engine. Weld/tap some barbs onto the rocker covers and put some small filters on them. That will reduce crankcase pressure. Of course that will give you an oily smell, but it is better than blowing out seals and dipsticks.

An engine with less crankcase pressure seals the rings better, which results in more power.

There are some more fancy methods like using an exhaust venturi to suck crankcase pressure. Not a bad system, but doesn't work great with high back-pressure exhaust systems. There are also vacuum pumps, but that is getting a bit more extreme than what is required.

Just out of Curiosity
Back when my car was Supercharged i added a 10psi pulley was running on the stock pulley no problems
when it basicly hit 10psi it would drop cylinders the problem was never to be found taking it to many mechanics and dynos
i even spent hours on it myself tried everything

could the crankcase pressure be a issue that would have caused this
heres a video of it

YouTube - ‪Misfire‬‏

YouTube - ‪missfire2‬‏

SirNemesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
WHII Statesman
Crankcase pressure can't cause a misfire. The effects of high crankcase pressure on other components might though, but a mechanic would easily diagnose this. The main effect I'm thinking off is forcing oil passed the rings or back through the intake. If it was bad enough to cause a misfire like that, your plugs would be absolutely chock full of oil and filth.

ToMMMaY

Reaction score
Members Ride
guess that problem is still unknown ffs
i basicly changed everything twice and still had it other then pulling apart the engine itself only thing that solved the problem was lowering the boost

anyways ill definatly have to get it looked at

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
Not fuel related is it? Sounds to me like your hitting something almost like 'fuel cut' when the injectors cant keep up with the boost and your leaning out.

Edit: The oil being blown out could just be a secondary issue.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
how is your pcv system setup most people just blow boost straight into the crankcase via the pcv and make a hell of a mess as well as blowing out the rearmain seal dipstick etc.i block every pcv valve in every build or fit boost specific PCV's on some of the early vn v6's with a pcv valve thats not built inside the plenum LOL.you can block the internal pcv valve and run a boost suitiable one on a rocker cover instead and a small filter on the other rocker cover to let air in

vc81

Reaction score
Members Ride
vc commodore
where do you get the the boost specific PCV's delco?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you can buy them for buick from the states PCV or goto pickapart and get an inline style one out of a turbo car try get a metal one not plastic even the one way valves to the brake boosters on turbo jappas work very well

ToMMMaY

Reaction score
Members Ride
how is your pcv system setup most people just blow boost straight into the crankcase via the pcv and make a hell of a mess as well as blowing out the rearmain seal dipstick etc.i block every pcv valve in every build or fit boost specific PCV's on some of the early vn v6's with a pcv valve thats not built inside the plenum LOL.you can block the internal pcv valve and run a boost suitiable one on a rocker cover instead and a small filter on the other rocker cover to let air in

At the moment i haunt touched anything with the Pcv i can't just wack a filter on my oilcap cause of the rev plenum and cooler piping so I' most probably will have to modify the rocker covers or so see how it goes