Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crank with no Ignition - possible KEY issue?

gw0071

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim V6
Could the failure of engine to crank but not start be indicative of a defective key?

I ask this because crank and ignition is OK after the key is left in IGN START for approx 5-10min

I have disconnected the CAS and the issue still arises

Original key, VTII V6 Auto 2000

Thank you

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
Last edited:

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
just thinking is your gear stick in park. try starting in neutral , it may be your neutral switch move the gears back and forward s few times,

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Does it have fuel? Does it have spark? Look at the simple things first then get more complex.
It doesn't sound like a VATS or immobilizer fault as the car will normally start then die straight away.

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Could also be bad BCM or ECU?

I thought that security is disarmed once you hit Unlock on the Key? So would it be fine to assume if the locks unlock, that the BCM has signalled the ECU to disarm itself and be able to fire injectors and ignition ?

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
Could also be bad BCM or ECU?

I thought that security is disarmed once you hit Unlock on the Key? So would it be fine to assume if the locks unlock, that the BCM has signalled the ECU to disarm itself and be able to fire injectors and ignition ?

still need the fob pin touching the striker plate to stay running.

gw0071

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim V6
The fuel pump pressurises the fuel sys when low press, the starter cranks but there's no ignition. The immoboliser red LED flashes when shut down

I do have an intermittent problem with my neutral switch which is overcome by selecting through the 'gears' but the problem persists regrardless of whether in P or N

When the engine does start it does so perfectly. The engine idles and runs fine but I have had an extremely rare occurence of shutdown while the car is in motion. Subsequent re-start 'on the roll' is generally successful. Fortunately I have a relatively new battery which can handle this abuse

I probably should add that the issue clears over time when ignition is left in ON position for an extended period, not IGN/START as I originally stated. But I think everybody got this poor use of terminology

My key is in pretty poor physical condition and I don't particularly mind having to replace it, IF it is the most likely cause of these starting issues

Thank you all so much for your rapid response and advice

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
maybe loose wire to battery or something , try cleaning the key surround make sure its getting good contact to the plate , new fob wont hurt.

maybe showing sings of crank angle sensor issues too.

gw0071

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim V6
I mentioned driving the car with the CAS disconnected and the starting issues persisited. I believe that the CAS elec conn is to the RHS of the Harmonic Balancer

A Holden 'Technician' said that I must have the incorrect component because the engine will not start with a disconnected CAS

Is this correct?

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
most probably.