Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Creaking Noise coming from the rear of the car, stop starts and reversing

rmurph27

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 2001
Hey Guys,

Apologies if this has been posted before, i am new to the forum and I am yet to completely familiarize myself with the topic navigation. I believe that my problem hasn't been entirely covered, or discussed from my browsing.

My VX commodore has been making 'creaking' noises from the rear suspension area for a while now - ever since i bought it really. My car is LOWERED and has 18 inch rims (if that can help with diagnoses) I have also fixed a few issues, eliminating other possible culprits: I had a clunk in the rear which i was able to identify as a right hand engine mount and had that replaced, so that took care of the thudding and i also had the left hand outer suspension tightened as it came loose after a camber kit was installed (That was installed before i bought the car) so that took care of the noise when i traveled over bumps and inclines in the road.

Having covered that history of noises and remedies for the rear i am still left with a creaking noise from the rear of BOTH the right and left hand side wheels. I booked my car into Pedders for a 28 point suspension check and that yielded nothing in the rear (however i was made aware of a few things i needed to do to fix the front, but thankfully that was cheap to fix, lol) The suspension check found nothing wrong with my rear suspension... Is it a comprehensive enough check to identify the problem? Or does it overlook things that may be the cause of my issue? CV joints and things like that? The report ticks everything: shocks, springs, upper bushes, leaf spring bushes, lower bushes, sway bar bushes, bump stops and lateral arms (so that eliminates a few candidates)

The creaking is particularly noticeable on stop starts and when i am reversing, the noises don't appear to be present at higher speeds just lower speed, and sudden direction changes like stop starts. I notice the noises even more so when i am in drive thru's, and closed spaces, as between stops and starts i can hear the creaking echoing a lot. Also when i push down on my suspension from the rear the creaking is still present, although the suspension behaves normally. Could it be my diff? Maybe it needs an oil change? I am not aware of any lubricant in the area of the suspension, but could that be the case? Axle or something? OR is this just a side effect of having a lowered car? Are the noises part-and-parcel of having a lowered car in the VX commodore range considering their known issues with camber angle and wearing tires? Or is possibly something else? Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated :)

Robert

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Get someone to check out the rear sub frame, sounds to me like it MAY be cracked.

Had the same symptoms with my VT i had years ago. Went to holdens numerous times checking brakes, bushes etc... no bingo. felt around the top of the subframe and it was cracking. creaks were worse when i sat on the brake and accelerated on and off

Also my mates VS SS had nasty creaks. Told him to get the subframe inspected.... and yes, it was cracked.

I know its more common in the earlier IRS commodores, but it still happens to later ones

This is simply a guess, but who knows

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Mine does it too . Turned out to be the 4 camber kit . The bushes needed lubrication . They dont do it on a wet day as water lubricates them ( thats how i found out )

rmurph27

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 2001
Thanks guys, i had a look at the k-frame at the back and couldn't find any observable cracks or fractures. However, I 'think' i have solved the issue, but then again i am not entirely sure. Could someone with more technical know-how and experience explain to me how what i am about to say works: I went and pumped my tires up today, they were sitting on around 35 - 36 psi to the 39 psi mark and just like that the noise was gone! No creaking from the back at all! Even when i pushed down on the rear no creaking! Could this have remedied my problem? If so whats the technical reason?

HOWEVER it is important to note that it was a bit of a wet day today, so maybe that lubricated my bushes and the tire thing was just coincidental and not the real solution at all?

How do you lubricate the bushes? Is it an easy job? I would assume it would only require some spray and that'd be all, am i correct? Any pointers or suggestions would be much appreciated

Cheers,

Robert

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I pulled the bolts out of the bushes lubricated them them refited them . Followed by a wheel alignment

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Mines the same. removed a few bushes lubed them up and was fine until winter weather got to them.

rmurph27

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 2001
Thanks guys, sounds like this is my problem! How much would it cost (ball-park figure) to have a mechanic lubricate my bushes for me? I'd rather make sure it was done properly and i am not confident in my own ability when it comes to suspension and things of that nature....

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
The guys that did mine charged nothing, but i have spent $3000+ on suspension steering bushes etc. and the sound came just before the camber kit was fitted. maybe next time i could take a picture when they lube them up to show you (possibly) which bushes they are.. took these guys 5 minutes on the hoist to remove a couple of bushes and run a paint brush of lube through them.

Vz Chris ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss
Hi did u work out what the problem was I have a similar issue in a vz ss

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
The op posted that 10 years ago :)

The big rear cradle/body bushes are the main sqeeking culprits, rubber goes dry brittle after 20 years, spring pads also noisy, spray some lubricant on them and see if it:s them, then replace.