Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Creaky steering

ozzypole

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ Executive
More than likely a strut bearing. SKF part number BD1B 351873 D. In the process of replacing both of mine now. Need to remove strut, disassemble and replace the two piece plastic ball race complete with new ball bearings.

BLU_FZ1

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 SVZ Ute/A5 & 06 XR6T A6
Ok,, what causes the strut bearing to collapse, surely they are designed to last longer than 18 months.

Could it have been caused by lowering and not fitting shorter shocks?:bang:

Wayne Sumner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS UTE 6L M6
ive lowered my car, and have the same noise.
there are a few threads on oiling the rubber seal on the steering shaft.
ive traced the noise down to the steering shaft on my VZ ute.
and my car didnt make the noise before i lowered it. going to put a bit of grease on it when the rain stops.

i also find mine stops when it is warmer.

calaiscruise

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Calais VYII Gen3 5.7L V8 + Impco Sequent LPG
BLU_FZ1

If your "creak" is the same as mine, it used to sound like a slight whirring, or whizzing noise, related to how fast the steering wheel was turned. I only noticed it at idle, and sometimes I felt it through the steering wheel.

I can't remember where I heard about the cause, possibly a thread somewhere, and they suggested it's a rubber seal in the firewall for the steering shaft, that needs lubrication... common on all VX-VY's. My mate has a VX and his is way worse than mine.

I mentioned to my Holden dealer who said they'd fix it during a service. They said it's difficult to get to from underneath, and needs someone at the wheel rotating back and forth so the seal can be greased.

Mine has come back again, I might have to climb under the car and look myself, though I'd have to find out if a special grease must be used, otherwise it might swell or damage the rubber.

If anyone else knows the solution to my problem, please let me know.

vncruzr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1
i think there was a post done on this a while ago for vn-vr/s but yeah it was the rubber boot on the steering shaft. lubed the one on my vn and my vr and yep, problem solved.

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
BLU_FZ1, it is most likely the bushes and bearing packs on the top of your struts, can you post a pic of the top of the struts from within your engine bay? This'll aid diagnosis. :)

BLU_FZ1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Guys, there is about 2mm gap. The noise is not a"clunk" There would need to be an excess space between the shock tower and the retainer plate,,,,,,,,,,that would clunk. I have a "creak"
100_1394.jpg

100_1391.jpg

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Yeah they're sitting up quite high which indicates a problem with the strut top bearings and bushes. I'm not sure of the specific part names or numbers to do this job as I've only ever asked for 'Everything above the strut'. Once the strut is out it's quite easy to get it all apart, as long as you have the right tools. A rattlegun being almost a necessity, but with some determination you can get by without one. If you're not sure about the job, if you remove the struts for them, a mechanic could replace the bushes and bearings in both struts in under an hour, not costing you very much in labour at all...

BLU_FZ1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, what does it cost for the parts, i can see Holden not doing it under warranty.