Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Creamy yellow glunk on the oil cap?

Jamesmaier

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Executive
Hey guy,

Just went to look at a vs today and saw some kind of residue on the oil cap. It was creamy, yellow and fairly firm in texture. Not sure what it is exactly, but thinking blown head gasket or at the very least cracked. But I always thought that was from a whitish foam.

Thanks for any help.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Have a look down the dipstick tube, and in thru the oil filler

also see if there is contamination in the coolant.

Can be crap oil, but if its good quality oil and fresh, I think you have it right

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Plenty of cars have that creamy gunk in the oil cap - usually it's caused by short runs where the engine does not get hot enough to burn off any condensation inside the block. It can indicate a bad head gasket or cracked head, but these are not common problems in Ecotecs. The problem is worse during the cooler months but is no big deal, and like I said it's pretty common.

Jamesmaier

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Executive
Can this cause any damage further down the track? Also is there a chance it could be a blown head gasket?

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Usually thats a sign of a blown head gasket. Also pull the dipstick out and see if the oil looks milky.

Burnout124

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2/ VY SS 6sp
verry unlikely a blown head gasket and i would not be to worried just check for water in oil or oil in water but unless your car has been over heating or running rough there is no need to be concerned !

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I wouldn't even think twice about it unless there are other signs. Google it if still unsure, but as mentioned before, this is very common - unless you do long runs in any car (over 30km), you will end up with the white oil/water emulsion under the oil cap. If it were very thick...like dripping mayonaisse, and the engine did not run smooth plus the engine oil was milky then I'd worry. But otherwise just ask the owner what the car was used for and what a 'normal' trip would have been.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The V6 engines have a well known problem with the inlet manifold gaskets slowly cracking over time,which causes them to weep coolant into the engine slightly, until they get to the stage where they leak pretty badly and effect the coolant levels and cause the buildup of the yellow or white slime under the oil cap,It also effects the performance and economy of the engine..This slime is mostly caused by evaporated coolant thats evaporated out of the crankcase and also out of the hot oil itself....If the engine is a V6 and it has 150,000 K's or more on it,than you can just about guarantee that the gaskets are starting to weep causing the slime,and it will only slowly get worse.The good news is that these gaskets are easy and cheap to replace.MACE, who are a sponsor of this website, make aluminum inlet manifold gaskets for the ecotec,these should last for years..

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
if the oil in the sump (dipstick) is not milky i wouldn't worry about it, it is just condensation mixing with the oil deposits under the cap, wipe the cap clean and it won't come back until you get more oil deposits under the cap, which takes sometime to build up.
in all it is normal.

Jamesmaier

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Executive
is this problem likely to do any more damage to the car over time?