Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crewman 6 speed manual. Anyone put big diameter tyres/wheels on?

rudi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive
Hi all
I haven't given completely up on getting a Crewman yet because of the apparent bad fuel economy.
I drive highway a lot but also go up bush gravel road/tracks (not 4x4) rough gravel roads.

I see the gear ratios appear to put the 6th gear slightly shorter (I think means more RPM) at cruise highway speed than a Commodore Wagon. 1st gear is very short, so again I assume this means 1st gear has very quick high revs and not much top speed?

Manual Auto

1st 4.48 3.06

2nd 2.58 1.63

3rd 1.63 1.00

4th 1.19 0.70

5th 1.00

6th 0.75

Reverse 3.96 2.29

Final drive ratio
3.46:1 V6 3.08:1 V8 3.07:1

Had a thought about putting bigger rolling diameter tyres/wheels on to also get some lift. Plus having that as a thought, It made me wonder if this would help improve fuel consumption on the highway. by reducing the RPM at 100/110 kmh and allowing 1st gear to be more, like a normal 1st gear in most cars. Id no doubt have to use 5th gear more and use the 6th gear primarily for dead flat roads to prevent the engine from labouring.
I did this in an old (don't laugh) 2.0 litre Camira manual. It worked a treat getting a bit extra clearance and I didn't notice any difference in fuel consumption. But it was a cheap car to run anyway.
Though I do think if I did this in a Auto then the Crewman would perform very sluggish and use a lot more fuel. So hence the thought of manual 6 speed. More gears to play with.
ps I don't carry much extra weight. I carry long skis/kayaks on the roof but they weigh bugger all.

Anyone done this? Thoughts?

TheWade

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Crewman
I'd opt for one of the Cross varients, wither a Cross 6 or Cross 8, they have the extra height already and you don't have to worry about stuffing around getting new rims etc. You'd also need to make sure when getting your new rims that they are load rated to the vehicle regardless of the load you are carrying.

jafolol

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz crewman ute
Hi all
I haven't given completely up on getting a Crewman yet because of the apparent bad fuel economy.
I drive highway a lot but also go up bush gravel road/tracks (not 4x4) rough gravel roads.

I see the gear ratios appear to put the 6th gear slightly shorter (I think means more RPM) at cruise highway speed than a Commodore Wagon. 1st gear is very short, so again I assume this means 1st gear has very quick high revs and not much top speed?

Manual Auto

1st 4.48 3.06

2nd 2.58 1.63

3rd 1.63 1.00

4th 1.19 0.70

5th 1.00

6th 0.75

Reverse 3.96 2.29

Final drive ratio
3.46:1 V6 3.08:1 V8 3.07:1

Had a thought about putting bigger rolling diameter tyres/wheels on to also get some lift. Plus having that as a thought, It made me wonder if this would help improve fuel consumption on the highway. by reducing the RPM at 100/110 kmh and allowing 1st gear to be more, like a normal 1st gear in most cars. Id no doubt have to use 5th gear more and use the 6th gear primarily for dead flat roads to prevent the engine from labouring.
I did this in an old (don't laugh) 2.0 litre Camira manual. It worked a treat getting a bit extra clearance and I didn't notice any difference in fuel consumption. But it was a cheap car to run anyway.
Though I do think if I did this in a Auto then the Crewman would perform very sluggish and use a lot more fuel. So hence the thought of manual 6 speed. More gears to play with.
ps I don't carry much extra weight. I carry long skis/kayaks on the roof but they weigh bugger all.

Anyone done this? Thoughts?
Hi , yep 235/45/17, got set off 18 going to try soon. Not sure about fuel econ but sticks like s...to a blanket. I've got one tonner , use to take tail gate off my vs ute heaps better on fuel, also clean o2sensor..flow meter. ECT..

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Utes without a cover (soft or hard) are like driving with a parachute when tailgate is up.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Utes without a cover (soft or hard) are like driving with a parachute when tailgate is up.
good to know. Looks like the toino cover is going back on next time i head home.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I have 245/35/R19's.
It was a huge improvement.

I never use this for towing a boat or any thing one tonner-ish.
The odd trailer with mulch at best, but what sedan or wagon doesn't do that?

TheWade

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Crewman
Actually the Tonneau Cover being on or off doesn't make a difference and having the tail gate off for better fuel economy is a myth, utes by design create an air bubble behind the cabin which has the effect of changing the airflow over the vehicle having the tailgate off or down gets rid of this bubble and creates drag on the vehicle effectively increasing fuel usage. There is an episode of Myth Busters that talks about this also Roadkill on Youtube mention it in one of their episodes I think about episode 48-50.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Actually the Tonneau Cover being on or off doesn't make a difference and having the tail gate off for better fuel economy is a myth, utes by design create an air bubble behind the cabin which has the effect of changing the airflow over the vehicle having the tailgate off or down gets rid of this bubble and creates drag on the vehicle effectively increasing fuel usage. There is an episode of Myth Busters that talks about this also Roadkill on Youtube mention it in one of their episodes I think about episode 48-50.
I stand corrected, obviously front cabin roof design is a lot better now than when I had my HG 350 ute.