Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crewman Drive Shaft Blowout

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
How was it lowered? Were lowering blocks used? Or did you remove a couple of leaves from the pack?

The diff will twist like that if leaves were removed because there is less to take the load and they will bend. I bet you give it **** a lot huh?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Cheers for the help guys, the parts are on their way from the east coast. I'm still not understanding the idea behind the twist in the diff, I can see now that I've been under it that the diff isn't in the right spot but I can't see why it would have done it or how to get it back... I'm listening to you guys and trying understand but I havnt done a lot of work in these areas before... Help is definitely appreciated :)

when you raise or lower a vehicle with leaf springs, the distance in height between the axle and body changes, that change in distance results in the axle rolling forward (the pinion goes down) or the axle rolls back (the pinion goes up)

as you can see in your original picture the pinion is rolled forward i.e the flange where the c.v joint bolts to is pointing towards the ground.

that is no good

you want the pinion angle pointing upwards towards the back of the gearbox.

that is where caster correction shims come into play, these are a piece of steel that's cut at an angle and is placed between the leaf springs and the bottom of the axle, where the u-bolts are.

only other thing I can think of, and I cant remember if it does or not, but the rear axle may sit in a cradle that is attached to leaf spring, if that's the case you will be able to rotate the diff upwards by loosening the ubolts off and turning the diff

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If a lowering block was used, the angle of the diff won't change as the block just moves the diff down, it doesn't rotate it. With coils, it definitely does rotate the diff because it changes the angles due to the trailing arms, but lowering a leaf sprung vehicle shouldn't affect the angle of the diff.

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
How was it lowered? Were lowering blocks used? Or did you remove a couple of leaves from the pack?

The diff will twist like that if leaves were removed because there is less to take the load and they will bend. I bet you give it **** a lot huh?

Lowering blocks I believe... Previous Owner did it, looks like blocks to me though.

Haha I'm not supposed to answer that on the forum am I? :p

when you raise or lower a vehicle with leaf springs, the distance in height between the axle and body changes, that change in distance results in the axle rolling forward (the pinion goes down) or the axle rolls back (the pinion goes up)

as you can see in your original picture the pinion is rolled forward i.e the flange where the c.v joint bolts to is pointing towards the ground.

that is no good

you want the pinion angle pointing upwards towards the back of the gearbox.

that is where caster correction shims come into play, these are a piece of steel that's cut at an angle and is placed between the leaf springs and the bottom of the axle, where the u-bolts are.

only other thing I can think of, and I cant remember if it does or not, but the rear axle may sit in a cradle that is attached to leaf spring, if that's the case you will be able to rotate the diff upwards by loosening the ubolts off and turning the diff

I get that the diff shaft should be pointing at the gearbox, just trying to figure out how to twist it back...

The thing is I think that it didn't used to be like that before this happened... After looking at the leafs it looks like the u-bolts loosened off wouldn't do anything as the axle has a kind of triangle shape attached to it to make it sit straight (what you referred to as a cradle I assume), I'm assuming that the diff has twisted from the input shafts when the CV let go... I will have to suss this out later as I'm currently at uni... and parts should be in by next week so tuesday looks like when it will be fixed... ill put up some more pictures later...

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
If a lowering block was used, the angle of the diff won't change as the block just moves the diff down, it doesn't rotate it. With coils, it definitely does rotate the diff because it changes the angles due to the trailing arms, but lowering a leaf sprung vehicle shouldn't affect the angle of the diff.

So the diff should just straighten up then and be ok without too much trouble?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It should. It probable twisted when the brakes were applied as the tailshaft would no longer stop it from twisting down like that.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
sorry to hi-jack the thread but Andy ... your alive?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450