Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cruise Control Noise

Woogler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Lumina HBD
Hi,

Has anyone had their cruise control make a single, distinct knock when they engage and/or disengage it? I am talking about when it takes control of the cars speed, not turning the master on and off.
:bang:

B

brock/owna

have u checked youre trans mount as i found mine would bang from the trans jolting as the cruise was heavier on the throttle than me on deceleration

Woogler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Lumina HBD
Thx Brock/owna,

No I haven't checked anythying, just drove home from Sydney and heard it today. I have just had the engine rebuilt under warranty, and they definitely had the transmission out whilst doing it. So perhaps this could be the cause. I can guarantee that the noise was not there last time I drove with the cruise on. Any other tips from anyone? Looks like the service centre at Tamworth is going to get another call......

B

brock/owna

well all the best with it and hope it turns out to be just a simple little mount

swish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 S
YES! Another which does the same! Mine has just clocked 15000ks.

Mine has done it since new and have been told it is "normal" though I ask other vy owners and they say nah!

A definite "click" if you like, when engaging and disengaging cruise. Mainly heard when tapping brake pedal at under 80kms due to less engine / road / stereo noise! The click seems to be coming from the engine bay on the driverside.

Now I have found another car with same noise perhaps someone can enlighten me as to whether anybody has aircon issues?
When i push aircon button on I can count to 5 before compressor clutch kicks in then as it does it jerks the whole car! Like sucking power and is quite noisey compared to my 13yr old VP V6!
I understand aircon uses power but the VP doesnt jerk and lose power when the aircon comes on!

and........... :confused:

What about the factory tyres????
Is anyone else experiencing exceptional wear on the inside edges??? Mine look weird with deterioration cracks on inside tread only........front and rear! (Dont know technical terms....I'm a chick= my excuse)

cliffo78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline, VL Exec, VY Berlina
Yes, I have heard this noise on my VT, VX and VY. I think it is either the cruise control module (next to ABS module under bonnet) or the accelerator cable servo (which takes over the accelerator whilst cruise is in use) disengaging. I wouldn't be worried, I dont think its a fault.

Woogler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Lumina HBD
Thx Swish,

Your word picture describes my noise in the cruise control exactly. My VY has 33,000km's on it.

As for it being normal, I just spoke to my service centre and they said it was a possible fault and it is booked in for Wednesday.

If your tires are scrubbing on the inside, I would ask you if you have been carrying heavy loads???

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Hi, you should find the cruise control is normal to make a "clunk", mainly when dis-engaging under load. Try turning the cruise off when climbing a steep hill - you will hear the cruise control motor disengage (it is similar to you slipping your foot off the accelerator at full throttle rather than easing it off). Then try it when coasting at the set speed and you should not hear a thing, as the cruise control position will be close to the stop position already. If it is making a noise at normal cruising there may be a problem.

As for the tyres, I just had to replace the front two on my VT2 because of severe wear on the insides. I booked it in for a wheel alignment and they adjusted the toe-in and camber, which cost more and takes a lot longer, as he had to keep taking the front wheels off to make a small adjustment, then put them back to check the camber. It was done on state of the art electronic equipment and was worth the $90, as he said the alignment was way out. I think most shops must just check the "toe in" when you are getting an alignment, which is a lot quicker and easier to do.

Hope that all helps (and makes sense!) :)
Cheers,
Mark.

Woogler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Lumina HBD
Cheers Mark,

Unfortunately, my C/C makes the noise whenever I press the engage button. Regardless of terrain. Particularly on flat ground at low speed and not under load.

Woogler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Lumina HBD
Car was checked today and Holden said that it was the c/c cable. Curious. But I can only wait till it is replaced on Friday and I will update again.