Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Curious of real power gains

Commy_enthusiast

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodores ecotec
Hey I have a vt ecotec auto, at the moment I'm currently porting head, plenum intake runners and gasket matching and port matching. This is all for the current items I am putting into the commodore, which are.. 1.9.1 roller rockers, 12 mil plenum spacer, 25 mil manifold spacer, CAI with own smooth intake pipe, larger T/B, pace maker headers, 2.5" high flow cat, 2.5" cat back and a 3.9.1 LSD and a tuned memcal to suit T/B I was wandering does anyone have a similar setup on a ecotec and if they have had a dyno done I am just wanting to know the gains I am to be expecting realistically, I know I could go buy an l67 and get twice as much gains but I want to make this ecotec less of a joke on the streets I'm not looking to go forced induction either perhaps in the future but I'm hoping with these mods and setup I will be installing it will reach 200rwkw is this realistic?

juzzyx

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY Wagon
Unfortunately not. Check out the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1kITxtjKRg

"This run was testing the Mace Engineering 12mm plenum and 25mm manifold spacer and a cold air intake. It made 114rwkw"

If you had nitrous you would see 200kw at the wheels no problem.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's not going to make huge power but it will be a lot more drive-able, especially with the 3.9 gears in the ass.

I'd be careful porting the heads, I'd be aiming for minimal metal removal, clean up the bowls and short turn area but leave the rest alone. Enlarging the intake tract to much means you slow down the column of air entering the cylinder which will cost torque. Big ports are for big cams.

At the end of the day you are starting with an engine that makes 152Kw in stock form, with the mods your doing you are probably good for anywhere from 15-25Kw increase total. 200rwkw has been done but it's either been FI or a well built n/a engine, not just bolt on mods.

Commy_enthusiast

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodores ecotec
So I have a choice either go with mace rockers which restrict cam to stock or go with a better cam which by the sounds of it would benefit the port and polish I am doing the work on my own so saving tonnes of money in the process what is best option can or rockers I heard to get rockers that are made for a specific can is quite pricey I would like to remain under the 10k limit as we all know its just a ecotec

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Immo is on the money.

In the real world, I think 3.9's might be a bit high, I have the 3.7's from a manual V8 up the bum and they tend to suit on about 2400 RPM at 110.

Generally, a brand new sludgeotec registers about 130-140hp at the wheels in an auto. I don't see you making more than about 30HP at the wheels with your mods.

Rough as guts rule of thumb - KW at the engine = HP at the wheels. 200HP at the wheels needs a cam + Heads + injectors + tune + exhaust.

Diff doesn't add HP, but it does get your ass off the line faster.

Commy_enthusiast

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodores ecotec
Tsunamix that sounds cheaper than what I am planning to do I do know mace rockers do restrict extra work to valve train and I know that to gain bang for buck than the valve train is where ya want to be spending your money as to why I'm questionable about rockers when a larger can can offer so much more and more possibilities in the end all I want to do is blow off ford falcons n/a so I can finally laugh at them

Commy_enthusiast

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodores ecotec
As for 3.9 gears I rarely go on highways or such to achieve 110 kph so I believe 3.9 would probably be my cup of tea but one more thing any recommendations on gearbox upgrades was looking at a t5 or just getting a stage 2 shift kit

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get a decent converter, say 2500rpm stall. With 3.9 gears it will really move from a standing start and with the lock up clutch it won't effect cruise RPM.

Commy_enthusiast

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodores ecotec
Thanks immo, these are all options I was unaware of I have just started to get into the modding scene roughly 6 months ago would you have a thread for a lock up clutch at all and a decent converter to fit 2.5"

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Factory converter has a lock up clutch, fairly much all small high stall converters will have em also. It's only when you start getting into really big high stall converters which use much smaller converter bodies (8") and have stall speeds above 4000rpm that you don't have a lock up clutch fitted inside the converter.

A shift kit will definitely improve how the box handles, normally coupled with a 2nd gear billet or "corvette" servo.